Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Any Interest in UAF(Interest in creating a UAF plugin)
Any Interest in UAF [message #1833818] Sat, 24 October 2020 17:11 Go to next message
Andy Barreras is currently offline Andy BarrerasFriend
I was wondering if there is any interest in extending SysML with an implementation of the OMG Unified Architecture Framework (UAF) profile. I f so, I would be happy to start that effort.
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1834081 is a reply to message #1833818] Mon, 02 November 2020 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ansgar Radermacher is currently offline Ansgar RadermacherFriend
Dear Andy,

yes, an implementation of the UAF profile would be interesting. I guess, you are aware that the profile itself is already available [1], but you want to add some diagrams and/or make this a static, registered profile in a plugin?

Ansgar

[1] https://www.omg.org/spec/UAF/20190615/UAF.xmi
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847184 is a reply to message #1834081] Mon, 18 October 2021 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod Naugler is currently offline Rod NauglerFriend
I realize that this is an old thread, but I am interested in the UAF profile as well. I have been doing UML diagrams with Dia, and recently tried two other programs but the free versions are limited (Modelio and Visual Paradigm). I have the xmi's for UAF downloaded but I don't know how to add them to the project. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847187 is a reply to message #1847184] Mon, 18 October 2021 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Rod,

I am about to roll on such a profile for Papyrus, if I have a longer project free period or a 3 days/week project. But I was fully booked the last years.

Is your interest UAF directly or the NAFv4?

Is a profile sufficient or shall guidance be provided?

/Carsten
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847222 is a reply to message #1847187] Tue, 19 October 2021 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Carsten,
I am only now becoming familiar with UAF. I have some experience with UML and less experience with sysML. However, in my current position I am working with the Canadian Navy on the replacement for their frigates which is based on the Type 26 from BAE Systems. They are trying to model the entire process using UAF but they are using Cameo with a very limited number of licenses. So I am attempting to learn/use Papyrus for this same task. I believe UAF will be sufficient as this appears to be the standard that they are using.
If I can load the profile in the same manner as the sysML1.6 profile was loaded from the marketplace, then I should be good. However, if it is loading a profile against the model, even a pointer to such a procedure would be welcome. My UML modelling prior to this was limited to drawing tools rather than analysis tools. I mostly used Dia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAor90AKxUw) <- one of my videos demonstrating Dia.

Thanks!
Rod
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847258 is a reply to message #1847222] Thu, 21 October 2021 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Rod,

NAFv4 is the NATO's adoption of the UAF. BTW, ADMBw is the German Armed Forces' adoption of the NAFv4.

OK, having a NATO frigate as system to design I would use NAFv4 ;-)

For example NAFv4

index.php/fa/41159/0/

does not use all views UAF defines

index.php/fa/41158/0/

/Carsten
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847263 is a reply to message #1847258] Thu, 21 October 2021 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I stated before, the current MBSE designers are using Cameo Systems Modeller with the UAF Profile plugin. They do not appear to be using NAFv4. Is it possible to have both profiles? As I dive deeper into this, I may recommend NAFv4 up the chain but I am not the top tier influencer on this. :) I am merely seeking to do two things: validate the model being designed by another party who does not have the same Naval experience I have; and further model portions of the project that are not currently being modelled.

As I work through the mounds of documentation, I am attempting to add it to the model.

Thanks again!
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847266 is a reply to message #1847263] Thu, 21 October 2021 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wiman is currently offline Thomas WimanFriend

Hi Carsten, Rod and anyone else that might be interested

I made an attempt to prepare a profile for Papyrus based on the official OMG-profile for UAF.
References to OMG SysML 1.6 profile has been changed to the Papyrus SysML 1.6 profile provided in the SysML 1.6 extension.
References to primitive types has been changed to references to UML2 primitive types

But I run into several issues...

These issues had to be taken care of before the profile could be released and be applied to a model:

Papyrus seems have problem applying stereotypes defined within a profile package with spaces in its name. Spaces in package names have therfore been removed.

<<UAF::Summary and Overview::View>> defines a "viewpoint" property which conflicts with the inherited "viewPoint" properties defined in <<SysML::ModelELements::View>>. I have therefore removed the UAF::Summary and Overview::View viewpoint property.

<<UAF::Summary and Overview::ViewPoint>> defines concern and method properties which conflicts with the inherited "concern" and "method" properties defined in <<SysML::ModelELements::ViewPoint>>. I have therefore removed the <<UAF::Summary and Overview::ViewPoint>> "concern" and "method" properties.

<<UAF::Projects::Roadmap::ActualProjectMilestone>> has an endDate with upper limit 0 which is not allowed. This seems like a bug in the OMG profile. I changed the upper limit to 1.

The multiplicity of all properties refering to UML metaclasses (base_XXX) have been changed from 1 to 0..1.

I have attached the migrated and released profile with those adjustments to this post.

But even after the profile was released, some more issues appear when applying the profile to a model.
It seems like there are conflicts when UAF stereotypes extends UML metaclasses and in the same time inherits from SysML stereotypes extending the same metaclasses
The following type of messages are shown when loading a model with the UAF-profile applied containg a class with stereotype <<System>> applied:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId: platform:/resource/SysML%20Test/T1.uml; lineNumber: 18; columnNumber: 300; Attribute "base_Class" was already specified for element "UAF.Resources.Taxonomy:System".

When you look in the model´s UML-file you will see that "base_Class" is specified twice:
<UAF.Resources.Taxonomy:System xmi:id="_6INq8DJyEeyMzdFzXDF1Cw" URI="ddwdwwd" base_Element="_5H9u4DJyEeyMzdFzXDF1Cw" base_Class="_5H9u4DJyEeyMzdFzXDF1Cw" base_Class="_5H9u4DJyEeyMzdFzXDF1Cw" base_SubjectOfForecast_Class="_5H9u4DJyEeyMzdFzXDF1Cw" base_Architecture_Class="_5H9u4DJyEeyMzdFzXDF1Cw"/>

I assume that the solution of this issue is to go through all UAF stereotypes and remove redundant extensions to UML metaclasses, or do anyone have any better idea?

Thanks,
Thomas

Thomas Wiman
MetaModelAgent Product Manager
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847410 is a reply to message #1847266] Tue, 26 October 2021 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Thomas,
I'm probably not the guy to test your implementation as I'm just learning SysML and UAF/NAFv4.

Carston,
Would your implementation also handle UNTL (Universal Naval Task List) customizations including WBS numbering?

Thanks!
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847411 is a reply to message #1847410] Tue, 26 October 2021 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Rod,
I just planned to do it, but Thomas already did it.
And Thomas is a swede and if a swede tells you it might work, you can be 150% sure it works.
I took a first glance at Thomas' profile and it looks great.
/Carsten

[Updated on: Tue, 26 October 2021 13:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847416 is a reply to message #1847411] Tue, 26 October 2021 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, so the next question is, how do I load the profile?
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847419 is a reply to message #1847416] Tue, 26 October 2021 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a 10 years old, but should still apply.

https://www.eclipse.org/papyrus/resources/PapyrusUserGuideSeries_AboutUMLProfile_v1.0.0_d20120606.pdf
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847435 is a reply to message #1847419] Wed, 27 October 2021 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thank you Carsten, I blush on behalf of Sweden. ;-)

In fact, I had problems myself applying the profile in my environment (Papyrus 2021-09 with SysML 1.6 installed). That's what I mentioned in the previous post.

But when I now try again, it works fine.

I have no knowledge at all in UAF. The profile is based on SysML, so that profile must be installed through the SysML extension to work. But is the idea that in UAF modeling one should use the concepts (stereotypes) in SysML as well? If so, the SysML profile needs to be applied explicitly.

Otherwise, I suggest that in Papyrus using the New Model wizard first create a standard UML model (with architectural context UML) and then apply the UAF profile (via the profile tab in Property View).

Of course, it would be easier with a customized GUI (Model explorers context menu and diagram palette) to create UAF-specific elements, but it is a much bigger challenge and requires knowledge of how UAF should be applied to be right...

/Thomas

Thomas Wiman
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847451 is a reply to message #1847435] Wed, 27 October 2021 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

In the absence of a custom UAF User Interface, I have generated an Excel sheet, which I attach to this post, which shows which UML elements the respective UAF stereotypes can be applied to.

Hope it can be of some help.

/Thomas

Thomas Wiman
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847482 is a reply to message #1847451] Thu, 28 October 2021 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for this chart, and the profile. I am learning to make use of the profile and the chart is most helpful!
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847549 is a reply to message #1847482] Mon, 01 November 2021 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I have attached a Papyrus diagram stylesheet that follows the color scheme for the different domains in the UAF Grid.
I have also added a few general presentation rules for elements but I am not sure what you want the diagrams to look like.

Here is a description of how to apply the stylesheet to a Papyrus model: https://wiki.eclipse.org/MDT/Papyrus/UserGuide/CSS#Using_StyleSheets

/Thomas
  • Attachment: UAF.css
    (Size: 8.76KB, Downloaded 93 times)

Thomas Wiman
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1847616 is a reply to message #1847549] Tue, 02 November 2021 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for this Thomas!
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1863714 is a reply to message #1847616] Thu, 22 February 2024 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know I'm replying to an older thread here but I applied the stylesheet to the model as shown but I don't see anything different. Can you post a screenshot of what I'm supposed to be seeing with the stylesheet applied?
Re: Any Interest in UAF [message #1863756 is a reply to message #1863714] Sun, 25 February 2024 12:36 Go to previous message

Hi Rod,

Even old threads are allowed to get active again...
The result of applying the styleeshet to a model or to a diagram is that all elements having UAF stereotypes applied will be displayed using the correct UAF color scheme with all compartments hidden.
See attached image.
index.php/fa/44006/0/

/Thomas

Thomas Wiman
Previous Topic:Problems with reinstall of Papyrus
Next Topic:Papyrus Designer Unified dependency problems ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:52:15 GMT 2024