Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse 2020-09 fails to find plug-in sources on Linux
Eclipse 2020-09 fails to find plug-in sources on Linux [message #1833422] Mon, 12 October 2020 19:17 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hello,

I have installed the Eclipse IDE for Java Development (2020-09) on Linux and used the "Install New Software..." dialog to install some plug-ins (such as the Eclipse Modeling Framework SDK). Doing so did, for instance, add the following two files to my ~/.p2/pool/plugins directory:

1. org.eclipse.emf.ecore_2.23.0.v20200630-0516.jar
  2. org.eclipse.emf.ecore.source_2.23.0.v20200630-0516.jar

In principle, all installed plug-ins work fine. However, if I try to take a look at the source code of a class provided by one of the installed plug-ins, Eclipse fails to find it.

For example, if I focus the EObject class in Java code and press F3, I am presented with the "Source not found" screen. Eclipse then asks me to attach the source myself. In this dialog, the "External location" defaults to "org.eclipse.emf.ecore_2.23.0.v20200630-0516.jar". Manually changing it to "org.eclipse.emf.ecore.source_2.23.0.v20200630-0516.jar" solves the issue, but is not persistent.

Interestingly, a comparable setup on Windows is not affected by this issue.

How can I solve this issue? Is there a way to make Eclipse aware of the "source" versions of all plug-ins?

Thanks!
Re: Eclipse 2020-09 fails to find plug-in sources on Linux [message #1833434 is a reply to message #1833422] Tue, 13 October 2020 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It's possibly related to this bug:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=566642

Some changes in PDE during the last release cycle altered how the plugins and features are looked up for an installation and caused problems with installations based on a shared bundle pool. Maybe that affect source bundle lookup as well, I don't know.

You could work around that by specifying a target platform with specific contents rather than relying on using the "Running Platform" as your target platform.

It might also help to invoke the command "Add All Plug-ins to Java Workspace Scope", though I doubt it.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse 2020-09 fails to find plug-in sources on Linux [message #1833435 is a reply to message #1833434] Tue, 13 October 2020 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I see, thank you for your answer.

What I failed to mention in my initial post was the fact that the project structure I am dealing with uses Tycho and is more or less configured as described here. Do I understand you correctly that "specifying a target platform with specific contents" then means to extend the "target-platform-configuration" with a <target> for every plug-in (such as the Eclipse Modeling Framework SDK) that I want to use? And if this is the case: Where can I obtain the respective groupId, artifactId, and version values from?

And finally, since the referenced bug seems to be fixed: Will this fix automatically find its way into 2020-09 when I update it in the next days? Or is it scheduled to appear in 2020-12?
Re: Eclipse 2020-09 fails to find plug-in sources on Linux [message #1833437 is a reply to message #1833435] Tue, 13 October 2020 07:22 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Please consider the first part of my previous post obsolete. I think I figured out what you mean and it pointed me to the cause of the issue. Taking a look at the Running Platform target, I can see that Eclipse fails to locate the source plug-ins because it expects to find them at the wrong location (see attachment).

When I create a filesystem link from /home/.p2 to ~/.p2, everything works as expected. Is it maybe possible to configure the location that Eclipse expects to find the .p2 directory directly?
  • Attachment: eclipse.png
    (Size: 100.54KB, Downloaded 73 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 13 October 2020 07:27] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError 32 bit RCP application
Next Topic:View Terminal, after upgrade to Eclipse 2020-09, is broken
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:04:08 GMT 2024