Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Status Bar Update Needed(Update to Eclipse GUI to make status bar more obvious)
Status Bar Update Needed [message #1833241] Wed, 07 October 2020 13:18 Go to next message
Tyler Lee is currently offline Tyler LeeFriend
Disclaimer: This post was written with humor but the issue is very real and very important to me

Developers have been plagued by this poor design choice for many years now. It's time for some change.

The status (loading) bar that appears in the lower right-hand corner of Eclipse when fetching, pulling, pushing to/from a Git Repo, as well as when cloning a Git Repo is the LEAST OBVIOUS status bar in existence. It might as well not exist b/c it does not stand out when Eclipse is burdened by the aforementioned background tasks.

This is problematic as it leads developers to think Eclipse has crashed when performing any work with Git as Eclipse is unresponsive whilst the status is progressing. Unless one remembers to look down into the dark recesses of the lower right-hand corner, they run the risk of killing the Eclipse process via Alt-Ctrl-Del, generating costly re-work and potentially corrupting data flowing to or from a repository.

PLEASE

FOR THE LOVE OF HUMANITY

GIVE US THE OPTION TO HAVE THE STATUS BAR AS A POP-UP WINDOW THAT IS IN-YOUR-FACE AND LEAVES YOU WITH NO OTHER OPTION THAN TO SEE THAT ECLIPSE IS CHUGGING AWAY AT THE TASK YOU COMMANDED IT!

...and leave the option to move the status bar to the useless void of nothingness that is the lower right hand corner for those who hate themselves, their country, and their god.

I would be eternally grateful.

Love,

ANYONE WHO DEVELOPS IN ECLIPSE <3
Re: Status Bar Update Needed [message #1833249 is a reply to message #1833241] Wed, 07 October 2020 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Have you tried picking from menu: Window -> Show View -> Other -> General -> Progress?

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Status Bar Update Needed [message #1833290 is a reply to message #1833249] Thu, 08 October 2020 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

This could also be an unwanted result of enabling the General preference page's "Always run in background" setting by default. Try turning it off.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Status Bar Update Needed [message #1833304 is a reply to message #1833249] Thu, 08 October 2020 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, I added it to my perspective. Because it's a view, I don't think this is exactly what I'm looking for as I don't think it will "pop" to the top layer if tasks are holding up Eclipse. I'll post an update if it performs differently.
Re: Status Bar Update Needed [message #1833305 is a reply to message #1833290] Thu, 08 October 2020 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I turned it off. I'll post an update if this does what I'm hoping for. Thanks!
Re: Status Bar Update Needed [message #1833345 is a reply to message #1833305] Fri, 09 October 2020 14:57 Go to previous message
Window -> Show View -> Other -> General -> Progress did what I thought. It opens up a perspective to view details of progress.

Turning off the General preference page's "Always run in background" setting fixed it for me. It doesn't pop a progress window open for everything (like project clean), but it does for anything w/ Git, which is very helpful. Thank you!
Previous Topic:Eclipse Tycho
Next Topic:Problems with installing Eclipse for Java
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:55:41 GMT 2024