Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Package and Project Explorer opens annoying file selection dialog(Double click on file not open in editor opens file but also opens file selection dialog)
Package and Project Explorer opens annoying file selection dialog [message #1832932] Tue, 29 September 2020 16:04 Go to next message
Jim Lumpkin is currently offline Jim LumpkinFriend
Package and Project Explorer opens the selected file in the editor tabs but also opens file selection dialog. I'm using 2020 06, primarily for Java development.

When I open a file that isn't already open in the editor panel, the file will open but a popup dialog shows all the open files. The cool part is I can open a file and go directly to any of the opened editor tabs, but the annoying part is I have to click again (whew!! extra work) to edit the file I just double clicked...

It must be a preference I've set or need to set... please help! thanks, Jim
Re: Package and Project Explorer opens annoying file selection dialog [message #1832938 is a reply to message #1832932] Tue, 29 September 2020 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

A screenshot might be of help to understand what you're talking about.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Package and Project Explorer opens annoying file selection dialog [message #1832950 is a reply to message #1832938] Tue, 29 September 2020 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
index.php/fa/39000/0/Sure, thanks.

This only happens when I double click on a file in the Package or Project Explorer that isn't already opened in an editor tab. The popup dialog let's me confirm my double click or even select a different file which gains focus... it's annoying but not critical... thanks!

Re: Package and Project Explorer opens annoying file selection dialog [message #1833094 is a reply to message #1832950] Fri, 02 October 2020 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I've never seen such a dialog. Perhaps you've installed something additional that adds this feature? Maybe that thing has a preference to turn this behavior off. I see "ZedaSoft" in the menu bar; I've never seen that before either...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Package and Project Explorer opens annoying file selection dialog [message #1833125 is a reply to message #1833094] Fri, 02 October 2020 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

That's the Quick Switch Editor popup that you show with Ctrl+E, but I have no idea why you'd be seeing it in this situation.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Fri, 02 October 2020 23:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Package and Project Explorer opens annoying file selection dialog [message #1833292 is a reply to message #1833125] Thu, 08 October 2020 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@Nitin Dahyabhai thanks Nitin, didn't even know what to call it in my searches... do you know of preference setting that would cause this to always pop up?

Re: Package and Project Explorer opens annoying file selection dialog [message #1833294 is a reply to message #1833292] Thu, 08 October 2020 13:59 Go to previous message
@Ed Merks - yeah, thanks Ed! The extra menu item is our little plugin that
doesn't do a huge amount of stuff. It will add company specific environment
variables to the launch configurations, updates projects, some reference
material we use...

I removed our plugin jar from the dropins/ folder and ran eclipse 2020 06 and
it still opens the Quick Switch Editor, so it doesn't look like it's our plugin but
something I've changed on my running copy... others have 2020 06 running
without the dialog popping up...

Previous Topic:How do I prevent Eclipse from creating and saving run configurations every time I do a unit test?
Next Topic:Eclipse Tycho
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:54:02 GMT 2024