Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » 15 min tutorial - falling at first hurdle
15 min tutorial - falling at first hurdle [message #1832919] Tue, 29 September 2020 10:27 Go to next message
Michael Lewis is currently offline Michael LewisFriend
I'm attempting to follow the 15 min tutorial for Xtext but the Eclipse IDE integration does not appear to do anything.

I'm following this tutorial precisely as precisely as I'm able (only deviation noted below).

I create the project, change the xtext grammar as directed, and generate xtext artifacts.

So far all good and the console shows:
Quote:

0 [main] INFO text.xtext.generator.XtextGenerator - Initializing Xtext generator
. <snip/>
4774 [main] INFO text.xtext.generator.XtextGenerator - Generating common infrastructure
4805 [main] INFO .emf.mwe2.runtime.workflow.Workflow - Done.

Then, as directed, from the "package explorer", I "run as"->"Eclipse Application", opening a new Eclipse Window, from which I create a new project (of type "General" rather than Java since I dont see a way to create a Java Project as a tutorial suggests, but the tutorial indicates that any type of project will do) and I create a "test.dmodel" file.

I now start typing content as per the grammar and the tutorial indicates that I should see "code completion, syntax highlighting, syntactic validation" but I see none of that, nor anything to indicate it recognises this file type or the grammar at all. Also, the outline view says that there is "no active editor that provides an outline".

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Am I mistaken in what to expect?

(I'm using Eclipse Version: 2020-09 (4.17), Build id: I20200902-1800 , on a Mac.)

Many thanks in advance,
Mike
Re: 15 min tutorial - falling at first hurdle [message #1832922 is a reply to message #1832919] Tue, 29 September 2020 12:02 Go to previous message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
which java version do you use to run the runtime eclipse?

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de

[Updated on: Tue, 29 September 2020 12:02]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Can I make Xtext throw, when a containment reference is reassigned?
Next Topic:Xtext Or jetbrains MPS Which one should i use?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:58:53 GMT 2024