Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse auto updated (i think) and now my workspace wont open
Eclipse auto updated (i think) and now my workspace wont open [message #1832845] Sat, 26 September 2020 17:35 Go to next message
Nathan Mead is currently offline Nathan MeadFriend
Hi All,

new here and new to Eclipse for java. Currently attending a college class for Java and we utilize Eclipse for our programs. My desktop seems to have updated my eclipse version over the past couple of days and now my workspace that has ALL of my school work no longer opens. I get a warning that the workspace is an older version and may not be compatible. How can I fix this? Can I just create a new workspace and move my programs over?
Re: Eclipse auto updated (i think) and now my workspace wont open [message #1832851 is a reply to message #1832845] Sun, 27 September 2020 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

It is a warning that can be safely ignored. In my experience the workspace is forward and backwards compatible over at least on releaze. I regularly move in both directions and have no problem attributable to workspace 'incompatibility'.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Eclipse auto updated (i think) and now my workspace wont open [message #1832875 is a reply to message #1832851] Mon, 28 September 2020 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Smith is currently offline Mark SmithFriend
Check this article
https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/installer
Re: Eclipse auto updated (i think) and now my workspace wont open [message #1832891 is a reply to message #1832845] Mon, 28 September 2020 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I always create a new workspace for a new release. I first export all of my preferences to a file, then start up the new distribution with the new workspace, and import the preferences. As most of our code is in git, importing the preferences gets all of my git repositories, and then I spend a few minutes importing projects.

It also helps for the shortcut to use the "-data <workspace>" command-line option. I sometimes go back and forth between the old and new for a day or so, which makes it easy to run either one, even at the same time.
Re: Eclipse auto updated (i think) and now my workspace wont open [message #1832955 is a reply to message #1832891] Wed, 30 September 2020 03:00 Go to previous message
Nathan Mead is currently offline Nathan MeadFriend
Thanks Everyone! I wasnt getting notifications on your messages and just now came back to check in. I did end up creating a new workspace which solved the problem.
Previous Topic:2020-09 can't resize panels,
Next Topic:Problems with run configurations dialog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 14:29:38 GMT 2024