Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Xtext Or jetbrains MPS Which one should i use?
Xtext Or jetbrains MPS Which one should i use? [message #1832753] Thu, 24 September 2020 12:28 Go to next message
Arman BM is currently offline Arman BMFriend
hi everyone.
i am a researcher, and i need to implement my programming language which has lot of special rules. and needs to be fast (at runtime).
I have programming experience in C#, Java, AS3 .etc

and I see there is two options for implementing my own language:.

1.Jetbrains MPS with lot of advertisement out there
2.Xtext

i could not find a fair comparison between these two libraries as most of them seemed to be an MPS ad.

please share your ideas.
Tanx very much

[Updated on: Fri, 25 September 2020 09:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Xtext Or jetbrains MPS Which one should i use? [message #1832859 is a reply to message #1832753] Mon, 28 September 2020 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Hermes is currently offline Jan HermesFriend
Hello Arman,

I've been looking at your post now for some time, and I have an idea on how you could get (more) answers to your question:

Research the properties of those two approaches (Xtext and MPS) in a bit more detail and then ask a more detailed question accompanied by your current view of those two solutions.

If you just put two "buzzwords" into the open without much technical background or even the goal you would like to achieve, it is probably unlikely that somebody would answer it.

A short view on how I see it:
I prefer Xtext for my current approach because I don't want to include the IDE-dependency that MPS is forcing on me.

So in short: If you use Xtext you can use any code-editor you like to write in your developed language, with MPS you need to use Jetbrain's IDE to construct a model in your language (MPS designed languages work directly on the AST, Xtext offers a traditional compiler based toolbox, with the additional possibility to add graphical constructs to your language)

hope this helps,
Jan

Re: Xtext Or jetbrains MPS Which one should i use? [message #1832951 is a reply to message #1832859] Tue, 29 September 2020 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arman BM is currently offline Arman BMFriend
tanx so much jan.
it was really helpful

I want to create an DSL for developing a game using unity engine
is it possible with xtext? science Unity language is C#?
is it any way to use my created DSL in Visual studio and inside C# code?

[Updated on: Tue, 29 September 2020 21:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Xtext Or jetbrains MPS Which one should i use? [message #1832958 is a reply to message #1832951] Wed, 30 September 2020 04:38 Go to previous message
Tamas Miklossy is currently offline Tamas MiklossyFriend
Hello Arman,

as a staring point, you can study the following two articles that deal with the Language development on .NET with Xtext:

https://blogs.itemis.com/en/language-development-on-.net-with-xtext-part-1-overview
https://blogs.itemis.com/en/language-development-on-.net-with-xtext-part-2-creating-a-dotnet-assembly-from-an-xtext-dsl

Hope that helps,

Tamás
Previous Topic:15 min tutorial - falling at first hurdle
Next Topic:Is there a workaround for using Guice 4.x with Xtext 2.21 ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:09:14 GMT 2024