Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Programmatically registration of a Project as a Git project(How to use Egit API to programmatically register a git project)
Programmatically registration of a Project as a Git project [message #1832750] Thu, 24 September 2020 12:14 Go to next message
Joaquin Morcate is currently offline Joaquin MorcateFriend
I am involved in building "ready-to-use" Eclipse workspaces for the different products of my group.

I have developed a plugin that allows me to create the "Plug-in Projects" from the sources that I have clone from our git-repository server. Basically I do:

IWorkspace workspace = ResourcesPlugin.getWorkspace();
 IProjectDescription description = workspace.loadProjectDescription(
                            new Path(projectFile.toString()));
 IProject project = workspace.getRoot().getProject(description.getName());

project.create(description, null);
 project.open(null);

The Plug-ins Projects are identified and created in the workspace, so when I start the IDE using that workspace but unfortunately, they
are not identified as Git project. I've look at the files in the workspace but I can't see nothing I could use. I
have also look to EGit code but I can't how to register a project as a Git project,

The idea is to have just a command that will throw me in a running workspace ready to start coding.

I'm not an expert on Eclipse, or on anything else, so I was wondering if somebody could help me
Thank you
Joaquin
Re: Programmatically registration of a Project as a Git project [message #1832757 is a reply to message #1832750] Thu, 24 September 2020 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It sounds like you are replicating what Oomph already provides, i.e., automated provisioning of specialized installations and workspaces.

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Oomph

Here's an example for a very complex setup that's fully automated, ready to start coding:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Platform_SDK_Provisioning

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Programmatically registration of a Project as a Git project [message #1832764 is a reply to message #1832757] Thu, 24 September 2020 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Ed for your answer.

I took a look at Oomph but they don't have an "automation" way. You have to launch the installer and select the basic platform, for example, RCP Development, and then your projects. I need to automate this and I believe that is not possible with Oomph for the time being (I could not make any sense on "Configurations"). In fact, in the end, I have a docker-compose file and I want to type "docker-compose up" and the next thing is to see the IDE open with the required plugins.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 September 2020 15:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Programmatically registration of a Project as a Git project [message #1832768 is a reply to message #1832764] Thu, 24 September 2020 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
Oomph can clone git repositories and import projects into a workspace. If that doesn't suit your needs take a look at AbstractGitCloneWizard.importProjects(). That's what EGit uses to import projects from a freshly cloned repository. Or if you already have a clone and it is added to EGit, you could check what the SmartImportWizard does.
Re: Programmatically registration of a Project as a Git project [message #1832771 is a reply to message #1832768] Thu, 24 September 2020 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a lot Thomas.

It looks good to me. I will come back to you if I managed to make any sense of it.

Re: Programmatically registration of a Project as a Git project [message #1832869 is a reply to message #1832764] Mon, 28 September 2020 08:44 Go to previous message
Hi Ed,
Thanks again for your suggestions. I managed at the end to register my projects with git: You need to find out the .git folder for the project and associateit with the Project instance of our project. But for this I had to call a method that was not in the external interface. I cannot understand why so many projects in Eclipse keep their services hidden behind the GUI. For example, if I don't like the user interface provided by the EGit team I cannot create my own customized views. The code is also full of monitors and tasks that make everything obscure.
Previous Topic:JGit as a read-only FileSystemProvider
Next Topic:pre-commit Hook "echo" message not appearing in popup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:32:20 GMT 2024