Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Store workbench layout
Store workbench layout [message #1832747] Thu, 24 September 2020 10:35 Go to next message
Christian Pontesegger is currently offline Christian PonteseggerFriend
Is there a way to persist my beloved customized workbench layout with oomph?

It worked quite a while to store a customized workbench.xmi and let oomph replace this file in a new workspace. Since 2020-06 I cant get this to work anymore.

Besides setting up projects, the workspace layout is one of the most annoying things to be done on each new installation.

any hints would be welcome.
Re: Store workbench layout [message #1832759 is a reply to message #1832747] Thu, 24 September 2020 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I've never investigate how this might be implemented. I wonder if perhaps your workbench.xmi stopped working because of changes to the serialization format. Are you using the latest version of the installer?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Store workbench layout [message #1832765 is a reply to message #1832759] Thu, 24 September 2020 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
Are you using the latest version of the installer?

Yes, I do.

I also considered a change to the xmi format so I created a fresh layout and tried to add it to my oomph profile, but it still does not work. Probably something special happens on the first startup.
Just generally it would be great to have a way to get my default layout on new workspaces.
Re: Store workbench layout [message #1832787 is a reply to message #1832765] Fri, 25 September 2020 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I know Eike did some work on creating perspective changes, i.e., specialize perspectives, but that was quite complex. I always manually change the debug perspective, i.e., I make the Variables, Breakpoints, and Expressions area the full height of the page rather than only the full height of the editor area. It's better to see more variables and more of their toString information that such a wide Console view. so I can see that this would be a useful feature.

But of course figuring out how to do that is work, and generally no one does this work other than me. And no one funds anything, so I getting significantly less inclined to implement new features.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Store workbench layout [message #1832820 is a reply to message #1832787] Fri, 25 September 2020 15:20 Go to previous message
I guess this should probably be discussed with the Platform UI team. Maybe Lars is interested here, too. Generally it would be great to be able to export/import a workbench layout. If such functionality existed it would also be easier for Oomph to reuse it.
Previous Topic:oomph property oomph.jreinfo.extra.search.path
Next Topic:Missing cipher in eclipse installer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 01:20:26 GMT 2024