Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Configuration conflict trying to build on both old and new Eclipse versions(I can build our product on either old or new Eclipse versions, but not both)
Configuration conflict trying to build on both old and new Eclipse versions [message #1832078] Tue, 08 September 2020 09:53 Go to next message
Mick Bell is currently offline Mick BellFriend
Our product (consisting of various plugins and features) is built on Eclipse, using Maven and Tycho, and we wish to support it on all Eclipse versions from Luna (V4.4) to 2019/12 (V4.14) inclusive. We will want to support it on newer versions when they become available. Until recent versions we had no problems but now we've hit an issue regarding the plugin 'org.eclipse.equinox.ds'. I have been attempting to build both Neon (V4.6) and 2019/12 (V4.14) and, whilst I can build each separately by changing the configuration in our .product file, I have been unable to discover a means to build both using the same file. Below is a summary of the errors I'm seeing (some names have been changed to protect the innocent):

BUILDING NEON

Building with config:
<configurations>
  <plugin id="org.eclipse.core.runtime" autoStart="true" startLevel="0" />
  <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.common" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
  <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.ds" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
  <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.event" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
  <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator" autoStart="true" startLevel="1" />
</configurations>

Builds Neon OK but 4.14 build fails with:

Building Productised Foo IDE (E4_1464).
Log file written to /home/jdoe/checkouts/foo-eclipse/build/E4_1464/build_productised.log
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
	Software being installed: Foo IDE 9.0.0 (com.example.products.eclipse.foopp.product.ide 9.0.0)
	Missing requirement: toolinggtk.linux.x86_64org.eclipse.equinox.ds 9.0.0 requires 'osgi.bundle; org.eclipse.equinox.ds 1.6.100.v20191001-1333' but it could not be found
	Cannot satisfy dependency:
		From: Foo IDE 9.0.0 (com.example.products.eclipse.foopp.product.ide 9.0.0)
		To: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu; toolingcom.example.products.eclipse.foopp.product.ide.configuration [9.0.0,9.0.0]
	Cannot satisfy dependency:
		From: toolingcom.example.products.eclipse.foopp.product.ide.configuration 9.0.0
		To: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu; toolinggtk.linux.x86_64org.eclipse.equinox.ds [9.0.0,9.0.0]
There were errors. See log file: /home/jdoe/checkouts/foo-eclipse/workspace/.metadata/.log
Failed to build the Productised Foo IDE (E4_1464), see log for details

The entries in
/home/jdoe/checkouts/foo-eclipse/workspace/.metadata/.log
merely repeat the error shown above

BUILDING 4.14

Building with config:

<configurations>
  <plugin id="org.apache.felix.scr" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
  <plugin id="org.eclipse.core.runtime" autoStart="true" startLevel="0" />
  <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.common" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
  <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.event" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
  <plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.simpleconfigurator" autoStart="true" startLevel="1" />
</configurations>

Builds 4.14 OK but Neon fails with:

Building Productised Foo IDE (Neon64).
Log file written to /home/jdoe/checkouts/foo-eclipse/build/Neon64/build_productised.log
gogo: InterruptedException: sleep interrupted
java.lang.InterruptedException: sleep interrupted
	at java.lang.Thread.sleep(Native Method)
	at org.apache.felix.gogo.shell.Activator.run(Activator.java:72)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Gtk-Message: 10:15:47.869: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Failed to build the Productised Foo IDE (Neon64), see log for details

The log file contains:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.4.0:exec (Install Platform Feature (Neon64)) on project foo.product: Command execution failed.: Process exited with an error: 13 (Exit value: 13) -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute goal org.codehaus.mojo:exec-maven-plugin:1.4.0:exec (Install Platform Feature (Neon64)) on project foo.product: Command execution failed.
    at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute (MojoExecutor.java:215)
    [... more stack-trace ...]
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.MojoExecutionException: Command execution failed.
    at org.codehaus.mojo.exec.ExecMojo.execute (ExecMojo.java:276)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.exec.ExecuteException: Process exited with an error: 13 (Exit value: 13)
    at org.apache.commons.exec.DefaultExecutor.executeInternal (DefaultExecutor.java:404)

However, if I add
<plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.ds" autoStart="true" startLevel="2" />
to the above config, it will build Neon but not 4.14.

I'm using Java 1.8 (the Oracle JDK) on Linux (Ubuntu 18.04, 64-bit) and building using Maven (V3.6.0) with the Tycho plugin (version 1.7.0).

My ideal solution would be a single configuration that would build all my required Eclipse versions. Is this even possible? If so, how?

I'd be very grateful for any help/advice. Please ask if you need more information.
Re: Configuration conflict trying to build on both old and new Eclipse versions [message #1832182 is a reply to message #1832078] Fri, 11 September 2020 06:19 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I don't think there's any way to avoid this, i.e., be able to build against two different Eclipse versions with the one configuration. I've had to change this in the Eclipse Installer product too...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Bug reporting
Next Topic:Plans for Eclipse 5
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:29:43 GMT 2024