Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » e4 and error log view(Is there a pure e4 error log view)
e4 and error log view [message #1831683] Wed, 26 August 2020 14:17 Go to next message
ChristianR Mising name is currently offline ChristianR Mising nameFriend
Hello,

I am writing an Eclipse RCP application since 2013.I still did not migrate to e4 and use Eclipse RCP 4.9 right now. Forgive me if this means I am already using e4 with some compatibility layer. I dealt with the Eclipse integration in the beginning and am now only adding functionality apart from the eclipse framework. So I have no deep knowledge about this.

I think about migrating to e4 from time to time as I don't use "too much" of eclipse itself (views, dialogs, error log, plug-in system and probably some more). However every time I start investigating this I end at the same point since years: There seems to be no error log view for pure e4. I always expect this is a pretty basic thing and that it should be available if I check a year later but I fail from year to year. Is there another solution? Or is there a similar functionality by another name?

I pop up error dialogs from time to time but some errors only go to the background and should be looked up by the user in the error log.

Best Regards,

Christian
Re: e4 and error log view [message #1831686 is a reply to message #1831683] Wed, 26 August 2020 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am sorry, I see there is a specific e4 forum where this question should maybe be askes. Shall I create a new topic there or will some moderator move this anyway?
Re: e4 and error log view [message #1831707 is a reply to message #1831686] Thu, 27 August 2020 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolf Theunissen is currently offline Rolf TheunissenFriend
I don't think you will get more response on the E4 forum, in general traffic is low on either forum.

Eclipse SDK itself still heavily depends on E3 API and compatibility layers in E4. There is a relatively small team that works on Eclipse Platform, and within that team there are only a few that look into E4 related topics. There is currently no effort going on to try to migrate parts of Eclipse to the E4 APIs. However, Eclipse platform is happily accepting any help from the community. So if you are in need of this feature, and like to help the community as a whole forward, feel free to start working on a port to E4. This should be a will defined task, given that the error log view is relatively decoupled form the rest of the Platform.
So feel free to help and donate some time or money to help Eclipse further: https://www.eclipse.org/setups/donate/?scope=Eclipse%20SDK
Re: e4 and error log view [message #1831708 is a reply to message #1831707] Thu, 27 August 2020 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolf Theunissen is currently offline Rolf TheunissenFriend
Of course you can also include E3 views in your E4 application by using the compatibility layers. As said, Eclipse heavily uses these layers to include E3 views.

This topic discusses how you can use this layer in your own application: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/358552/
Re: e4 and error log view [message #1832233 is a reply to message #1831683] Sun, 13 September 2020 10:35 Go to previous message
Thanks for the answer. I felt I had to migrate to E4 in order to be able to use RCP in the long run. But if even the IDE is still using 3.x compatibility there seems to be no pressure. Maybe I will switch to E4 with compatibility layer at some time. If I get more insight into this it will be more clear to me how many 3.x features are left and if it makes sense to migrate the error log myself to get a pure E4 application. If I do so, I will check how contributing this to the community works.
Previous Topic:make eclipse plugin as directory fromat
Next Topic:eclipse rcp dopins for automation not showing any errors and not execting.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 22:40:11 GMT 2024