Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Problem with staging after conflict resolution (Papyrus Compare)
Problem with staging after conflict resolution (Papyrus Compare) [message #1831612] Tue, 25 August 2020 08:07 Go to next message
Thomas Wiman is currently offline Thomas WimanFriend

(This question should perhaps be asked in the Model Compare forum, but I will try here first)

We are using Papyrus 4.4.0 (Eclipse 2019-06) together with Papyrus Compare built id: 201905201442.

After resolving conflicts using Model Merge Tool (with EMFCompare), an automatic popup-dialog appears saying that involved file will be staged (e.g. added to index) as preparation for commit. But when looking in the Git staging view, the model files remain unstaged and the commit button is disabled. Trying to manually stage them using context menu in Project explorer or drag-n-drop in Git staging view has no effect. But after restarting Eclipse, the involved model files shows up as staged and commit can be performed.

The settings used are those listed on the Papyrus compare wiki page: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Papyrus_Compare

I have tried the same in the latest Papyrus 4.8.0 (Eclipse 2020-06) with the latest nightly build of Papyrus Compare with the same effect.

Are there any other that experience the same problem with staging after conflict resolution? Is it a known issue (I can´t find any in Bugzilla) or are there any additional settings or other combination of component versions to be recommended?

This is not a critical issue, but having to restart the workbench before commit is a bit annoying...

Thanks,
Thomas
Re: Problem with staging after conflict resolution (Papyrus Compare) [message #1831842 is a reply to message #1831612] Mon, 31 August 2020 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Philip Langer is currently offline Philip LangerFriend

Hi Thomas,

hm, no I'm not really aware of this issue.
It sounds like the EGit Staging view doesn't refresh anymore after the automatic staging. Does it work if you hit refresh in the staging view manually?

Feel free to open a bug on this issue:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Papyrus&component=Collaboration

Thanks and best wishes,

Philip

--
Philip Langer

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Re: Problem with staging after conflict resolution (Papyrus Compare) [message #1831853 is a reply to message #1831842] Tue, 01 September 2020 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Yes EGIT sometimes fails to progress, but in my experience doesn't corrupt. The Compare functionality, even platform compare, is particularly fragile. You'll probably see something in the Error Log that you can report. If something appears lost, the Git Ref Log View can often find it.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Problem with staging after conflict resolution (Papyrus Compare) [message #1831903 is a reply to message #1831853] Wed, 02 September 2020 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks Philip & Ed,

Sorry, I completely missed that there was a refresh button in the Git Staging view... I have never needed manual refresh earlier when using the staging view for Java code.

Refresh solves the problem but it seems that the staging view after refresh loses the connetion with what´s happening in the workspace. I have to press the refresh-button after almost all Git-operations for the UI to update (including Egit-decorators in project view), until I restart Eclipse.

It seems that there is some internal listener in EGit that stops listening on changes. Is that a known issue? Is restart the only way to get it working again?

Thanks,
Thomas
Re: Problem with staging after conflict resolution (Papyrus Compare) [message #1831919 is a reply to message #1831903] Wed, 02 September 2020 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

There may well be someyhjing in the Error Log that can help the developers understnad the problem.

You may well find that closing the GIT Views and reopening is enough to restore order. (Always a good idea to close all Compare Editors.)

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Problem with staging after conflict resolution (Papyrus Compare) [message #1832038 is a reply to message #1831919] Mon, 07 September 2020 08:01 Go to previous message

Ed, thanks for the suggestions. But there are nothing in the error log that seems to be related to this issue and closing & reopening the Git Staging View and Compare Editor do not have any impact. The need for manual refresh of the GIT staging view remains. I think we will continue with the instructions to the users to restart the workbench after resolving all conflicts.

Thanks,
Thomas
Previous Topic:how to add new papyrus extension in eclipse RCP
Next Topic:Guard and Priorities visible in the Diagram Editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:03:56 GMT 2024