Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Continuing eclipse problem(project gets lost)
Continuing eclipse problem [message #1831263] Sun, 16 August 2020 04:57 Go to next message
joseph newcomer is currently offline joseph newcomerFriend
I had a hardware failure. When the machine restarted, I brought up eclipse, and it said it could not find the project. This is not the first time this has happened, that it just got lost. After a couple hours of flailing about and finding useless advice on any number of fora, I gave up.

The error was "The type java.lang.Object cannot be resolved..." followed by "The project was not built since its build path is incomplete..."

I had been working in this project for a couple weeks with no problem. Suddenly, it does not recognize the project, complains that the project file is corrupted, has lost all my run configurations (which have fairly complex command line arguments, which I now have to remember). I was unable to find any file that contained any of the command lines. And when I checked the build path, it is for the jdk-11.0.6.10-hotspot version; I checked the path and it exists.

Most of the questions dealt with fairly exotic scenarios such as building for Android. I am building and running applications on Windows 10. Every time I attempt to create a new version, it takes me days to get it back to where I was; now, doing everything I knew and everything I could try, I cannot get it to work. This should not be this difficult. I should be able to start up and have a working environment. It won't let me import the project, because it says the project is already defined in the workspace. But if it is already defined in the workspace, why can't I just build it? The package explorer comes up empty. Importing doesn't work. I am using the 2020-06 build of eclipse. This is far more difficult than it needs to be.
  • Attachment: eclipse 3.PNG
    (Size: 164.67KB, Downloaded 46 times)
Re: Continuing eclipse problem [message #1831268 is a reply to message #1831263] Sun, 16 August 2020 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If your machine crashed perhaps you only need to do a clean build. It's hard to see from your picture if there really is something wrong with the build path.

Note that Run/Debug Configuration have a tab "Common" where you can specify "Shared File" such that the configuration is stored in the workspace so that you can reuse it in any workspace that contains your project.

You might want to consider automating the setup involved for your specific project:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring

Of course that involves learning a bunch of new things, but in the long term, setting up an IDE with the right things installed, the right preferences set, and containing all the source code for your projects can be fully automated. E.g., like for this super complex example:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Platform_SDK_Provisioning

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Continuing eclipse problem [message #1831289 is a reply to message #1831268] Sun, 16 August 2020 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you. I had not thought of a clean build. Alas, when I tried it, I got the window in the attached screenshot. Note that the only project, "src" is grayed out and does not respond to mouse clicks. I will check out the references.
What is strange is that the previous project the top of the package explorer, and now all I see is "src".
index.php/fa/38777/0/
  • Attachment: eclipse4.PNG
    (Size: 9.61KB, Downloaded 150 times)
Re: Continuing eclipse problem [message #1831291 is a reply to message #1831289] Sun, 16 August 2020 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Learning new stuff" does not begin to cover what is required to understand this. I have no idea what 90% of that means, and of the remaining 10% I probably want to change it, but I don't know what the 10% is, or what it can be changed to. For example, we have a git project we check things into manually, and I don't see how to even begin figuring out what needs to be understood. I've done a couple other sites and they assume I have a vocabulary of terms that they don't bother defining, assuming that somehow I know what a "bundle" is, or almost any other aspect. I am not part of that culture; all I want to do is continue development of my code that I've been working on for a couple years, and it has always worked, except the repeated setup every couple months.

Is there an "Oomph for Dummies" book. It seems I have to know everything before I can do anything. Sort of like drinking from a firehose, without the satisfaction of ending up non-thirsty.
Re: Continuing eclipse problem [message #1831306 is a reply to message #1831291] Mon, 17 August 2020 07:55 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Your invisibilities may be caused by 'smart' contexts. You can (accidentally) tunnel down to narrower scopes, so that most things are hidden. The top right view menus give you some options here,.

Using the sadly deprecated Navigator View rather than The Package Explorer gives a more truthful view that may not have some accidental tunneling. I find this very useful for conforming that oops, my already imported project really is imported. Then I can find which working set I accidentally DNDed it to.

If you have Mylyn Tasks active, it has a clever ability to focus on your recent activities. Some users find this really helpful, I have never learned to love it, so I never install Mylyn. It is possible that a crash caused some stale mementoes to be used so that Mylyn's opinion on your interesting current work is very different to yours. Try switching Mylyn tasks off until you are back in control.

Regards

Ed Willink

Previous Topic:Building eclipse JDT core
Next Topic:Loading Jboss EAP runtime modules in Eclipse(June, 2020)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:49:17 GMT 2024