Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Does Papyrus Require Internet Access
Does Papyrus Require Internet Access [message #1831241] Fri, 14 August 2020 19:24 Go to next message
Clement Decker is currently offline Clement DeckerFriend
I am researching code generator tools for company usage. Since we deal in a secure environment, we can only use tools that are not accessible to the internet. If the tool or even a subset of the tools functionality requires internet access, that functionality is not usable to us. Does Papyrus satisfy this criterium?
Re: Does Papyrus Require Internet Access [message #1831252 is a reply to message #1831241] Sat, 15 August 2020 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
No, neither Papyrus itself nor the Eclipse base, nor the Java Runtime does need any internet access. The same is true for the code generation tooling. Even better, as it is all free open source software you can even inspect the source code and build your own trusted binaries. Furthermore you can host it on a pure free open source Linux (i.e. Debian) distribution which is free open source software too.
Given that, Papyrus shall even fit the most paranoid environments.
/Carsten

[Updated on: Sat, 15 August 2020 08:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Does Papyrus Require Internet Access [message #1831280 is a reply to message #1831252] Sun, 16 August 2020 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

... probably.

Unfortunately there are sometimes bugs, particularly in relation to model nsURIs that look like URLs and are sometimes accidentally accessed as such. 5 years ago, OCL had a bad bug whereby its library model was redundantly loaded from Eclipse.org causing at least a few milliseconds of delay and potentially a 20 second connection time out before the code fell back on the built-in copy. OCL JUnit tests now install a NoHttpURIHandlerImpl that throws an IOException if testing attempts to access the net. Similarly I have seen a misconfigured Mylyn Wikitext access its schema off the net which is particularly confusing since the net copy is not well-formed.

It is worth running code with Wireshark and/or the Internet disconnected every so often to detect accidental use of non-local facilities.

So, probably ...

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Does Papyrus Require Internet Access [message #1831283 is a reply to message #1831280] Sun, 16 August 2020 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi,
Two years ago, I did a complete Papyrus code generation project unplugged. That alone was some 400h unplugged -- at the beach ;-) No, problems at all.
Quite often I take my bicycle, ride to a nice place at a lake or forest and work there completely unplugged.
Yes, misspelled local nsURIs (name spaces) looking like URLs result in a internet access. Having no internet access this results in an error message. Nothing more. As soon as you have corrected the spelling it works. I would not interpret this as internet required.
/Carsten

[Updated on: Sun, 16 August 2020 14:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Does Papyrus Require Internet Access [message #1831307 is a reply to message #1831283] Mon, 17 August 2020 08:16 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Great, you have actually demonstrated what we expect to be true.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:dangling steoretypes after deleted stereotyped elements
Next Topic:View Activites as on MagicDraw
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:42:53 GMT 2024