Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Sprotty » Integrating Sprotty-server into existing Spring application?
Integrating Sprotty-server into existing Spring application? [message #1830911] Thu, 06 August 2020 13:55 Go to next message
Jonas Sorgalla is currently offline Jonas SorgallaFriend
Hi folks,

first of all thank you so much for your awesome work. I recently came accross the use case to visualize a model for the web browser and Sprotty seems to be a perfect fit. I already had nightmares of half-heartedly coded custom spaghetti java script code :D

However, I am not sure how to integrate Sprotty in the best possible way. I already have a Spring backend written in Kotlin which (among other things) holds several EMF-based models (plain emf, sry no xtext :/). My first thought was to simply expose the models and underlying ecore using a REST interface, consume everything in a separate node.js frontend relying on the Sprotty client and, thus, achieve a nice decoupled visual representation accessible with a browser. But, while running the Sprotty client examples and doing some reading, I stumbled upon the Sprotty server and corresponding (Theia-Xtext-Sprotty example). Now I am a little bit puzzled...

The possibility to the computational heavy lifting on the server side seems appealing, meaning I guess I should integrate the sprotty server and ELK somehow in the existing Kotlin backend? Is there a tutorial which exemplifies this? Or did I got it all wrong and the Sprotty server should be run separately? Or should I stick solemnly to the Sprotty client?

Would be awesome to get some pointers :)!
Re: Integrating Sprotty-server into existing Spring application? [message #1830940 is a reply to message #1830911] Fri, 07 August 2020 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miro Spönemann is currently offline Miro SpönemannFriend

Hi! The Sprotty server should be integrated in the same backend application that holds the data. The server is responsible for fetching data, transforming it into a Sprotty model, and sending it to the client.

A REST API would be possible, but it's better to use a websocket so the server can notify the client when new data is available. There's a very simple example in sprotty-server that shows how to do it:
https://github.com/eclipse/sprotty-server/tree/master/examples

You could also have a look at EMF.cloud (https://www.eclipse.org/emfcloud/) in conjunction with GLSP (https://www.eclipse.org/glsp/).
Re: Integrating Sprotty-server into existing Spring application? [message #1830955 is a reply to message #1830940] Fri, 07 August 2020 09:57 Go to previous message
Jonas Sorgalla is currently offline Jonas SorgallaFriend
Thanks Miro for the quick reply :)! I'll have a look next week and (hopefully) report back about my success :D
Previous Topic:Installation and integration with eclipse sirius web
Next Topic:Sprotty from Graphical Change to Text
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:25:58 GMT 2024