Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BPMN 2.0 Modeler » Anyone ever couple (Import/Export) a BPMN(2.0) diagram to UML(Papyrus)(UML, Papyrus, BPMN 2.0 Modeler and interop (Import/Export) per spec 8.3.4)
Anyone ever couple (Import/Export) a BPMN(2.0) diagram to UML(Papyrus) [message #1829956] Tue, 14 July 2020 18:43 Go to next message
Sam Warner is currently offline Sam WarnerFriend
I am curious if any one has done this?

I am creating two different design sets, one in UML and another in BPMN for two different audiences (sw-folks and business-folks). Would simplify my effort if there was a "how-to". Though if there isn't I'd be curious even on guidance, and then I could create a "how-to" for the group.

Sam
Re: Anyone ever couple (Import/Export) a BPMN(2.0) diagram to UML(Papyrus) [message #1830003 is a reply to message #1829956] Wed, 15 July 2020 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralph Soika is currently offline Ralph SoikaFriend
Hi,
which kind of UML diagram type do you want to migrate into a BPMN diagram?
For example a UML use case diagram can transferred in a BPMN diagram where each use case is mapped into a BPMN task element and the actors of a use case diagram are mapped into lanes in BPMN.
Also a UML activity diagram can transferred in a BPMN diagram where each activity is mapped to a BPMN event. But in this case you have no mapping to BPMN task elements which are essential for a BPMN diagram.
In a UML sequence diagram you can again map the actors into BPMN lanes and the sequence flows to BPMN tasks.

But there is no automatism how to do all this. If you have an idea how to describe the process of transferring UML diagram types into BPMN this would be great. Of course we can publish such a how-to on the BPMN wiki pages: https://wiki.eclipse.org/BPMN2-Modeler

===
Ralph
Re: Anyone ever couple (Import/Export) a BPMN(2.0) diagram to UML(Papyrus) [message #1830015 is a reply to message #1830003] Wed, 15 July 2020 20:51 Go to previous message
Sam Warner is currently offline Sam WarnerFriend
(which diagrams) - my thinking is to take the use-case, activity, sequence, and communication diagrams to enable keeping the names of the objects the same. Yep, on the use-case diagrams populating the participants, and creating the minimum framework for the process stages within each participant's swimlane diagram, and yep on the activity diagram translation into events, along with the order of events. Later, one can go in a refine the BPMN diagram.

As I progress, I'll create a doc mods to include.
Previous Topic:HowTo question
Next Topic:Problem install BPMN2 Modeler Core
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:45:19 GMT 2024