Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BPMN 2.0 Modeler » HowTo question(Collaboration, Choreography, Conversations, Process, and inter-op within BPMN Modeler2)
HowTo question [message #1829839] Sun, 12 July 2020 18:32 Go to next message
Sam Warner is currently offline Sam WarnerFriend
Hi,
I created a collaboration diagram, and went to create a Choreography - only to observe that the objects from the Collaboration were not usable in the Choreography. What I found myself having to do is re-create the same objects (messages/etc), and place them on the Choreography diagram. For diagramming this is fine, yet I am certain I am creating a downstream problem, in that if I target an execution engine the redefinitions of objects will create a huge nightmare. My steps to create the Choreography were:
1) open Collaboration
2) use "Diagram" / "Create Choreography .."
3) select tab for the named Choreography under the bpmn2 for the Collaboration
4) create a "call activity", and use the participants from the collaboration, and try to like to an activity defined on the collaboration.

Leading me to my question...

It appears that Collaborations, Choreographies, and Process diagrams within a project are not connected (per the BPMN 2.0 SPEC Figure 8.3). I must be mistaken.

How does a modeler create a Choreography that uses the objects defined in the Collaboration?

[Updated on: Sun, 12 July 2020 19:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: HowTo question [message #1829842 is a reply to message #1829839] Sun, 12 July 2020 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralph Soika is currently offline Ralph SoikaFriend
Hi,

do you mean, you create separate bpmn files within one eclipse project? Than, yes those diagrams are not related to each other.
Is this what you are expecting?

===
Ralph
Re: HowTo question [message #1829911 is a reply to message #1829842] Mon, 13 July 2020 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam Warner is currently offline Sam WarnerFriend
Hi,
nope for the first question, and I'll kinda hold off answering the second.

I did some more research/analysis to see if I can figure out. What I know is I created three styles of BPMN files. Two where I created the file by using the "BPMN Model" wizard, and one where I created the bpmn file using "Diagram" wizard. All have different results when I open with the "Model Editor". In the three files, I redrew the Collaboration ( go figure, eh, but it was mostly cause I ran into problems so I would redraw the diagram to try and find out where). In all the two files were I used the "BPMN Model" wizard, the format seems to be incorrect. These two files show only a "BPMN Diagram" and while all the objects are available, there key difference is there isn't a diagram labelled "Collaboration" like in the bpmn where I started by using the "Diagram" wizard. The above four steps I did were with one of the bpmn files where I used the "Model" wizard. I suspect, the root of my problem is I used the "Model" wizard.

I went back to the spec - my problem was I wasn't creating the Choreography Call Task per spec. The messages are tied to the participant, where the Collaboration Call Task name aren't reused on the Choreography only the Collaboration messages. Wasn't related to the which the BPMN file creation wizard was used.

Sam

[Updated on: Tue, 14 July 2020 00:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: HowTo question [message #1830005 is a reply to message #1829911] Wed, 15 July 2020 16:10 Go to previous message
Ralph Soika is currently offline Ralph SoikaFriend
Hi,

the "BPMN Diagram Editor" is the right one to edit BPMN files in graphic mode. The "BPMN Model Editor" instead provides only a technical view on the BPMN file. It does not make sense to use this editor to setup a new BPMN file because you have to create all necessary elements by your self and you need to have a deep understanding of the BPMN XML definition and structure.

If you create or update a BPMN file with the "BPMN Diagram Editor" the editor will create all the structure elements, the definitions and processes for you. So you should always work with this editor.
And you can also open the BPMN file with a XML Editor to see if you content is valid to the bpmn spec.

===
Ralph
Previous Topic:triage usage before file a bug
Next Topic:Anyone ever couple (Import/Export) a BPMN(2.0) diagram to UML(Papyrus)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:08:58 GMT 2024