Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Eclipse installer .p2 on Linux VM continually gets translated to 'C:\Users\<user>\.p2\pool'
Eclipse installer .p2 on Linux VM continually gets translated to 'C:\Users\<user>\.p2\pool' [message #1829417] Fri, 03 July 2020 05:56 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I have Eclipse 2020-06 installed on a Win10 laptop. I've installed an Ubuntu 18.04 VM on the same laptop. I'm attempting to avoid using some space on the VM by creating symlinks to the required resources on the host. I did this for the ~/.m2 directory, and I had initially done the same for the ~/.p2 directory. I since reverted the link for that because I learned it couldn't work, but it seems like there's still some vestige of that somewhere, because it keeps on showing up. I'll elaborate.

On the VM, I have the original Eclipse installer package in a tgz file, unmodified from the server. I've deleted the Eclipse installation, the unpacked installer, the ~/.p2 contents, and the ~/.eclipse directory.

I then unpack the installer tgz file, resulting in this:
% ~/Downloads$ ls eclipse-installer/
./   artifacts.xml   eclipse-inst*     features/  p2/	    readme/
../  configuration/  eclipse-inst.ini  icon.xpm*  plugins/

I then ran the installer. It initially fails to connect, because I have to set the proxy. I go through that, and it gives me the list of distribution types to install (Java, et cetera). I choose the Java one. I accept the user agreement.

After each of these steps, I've been relisting the contents of the "eclipse-installer" directory. As soon as I accept the user agreement, the contents changes to this:
% ls eclipse-installer/
 ./		 configuration/		      eclipse-inst.ini	 p2/
 ../		'C:\Users\<user>\.p2\pool'/   features/		 plugins/
 artifacts.xml	 eclipse-inst*		      icon.xpm*		 readme/
% cat ~/.p2/profiles.info 
_home_<user>_eclipse_java-2020-06_eclipse|Installation|/home/<user>/Downloads/eclipse-installer/C:\\Users\\<user>\\.p2\\pool|/home/<user>/eclipse/java-2020-06/eclipse|
% cat ~/.p2/pools.info 
/home/<user>/Downloads/eclipse-installer/C:\Users\<user>\.p2\pool

Where "<user>" is my user id. Clearly, that will not work in my VM. I have no clue what it is looking at that is causing it to create that path. I've looked at the output of "env" and there's nothing surprising there. What information does the installer look at to determine what file name to create for the "pool" directory in the installer?

In any case, despite this oddity, the installer does appear to complete successfully. However, when I launch Eclipse from the installer, it immediately presents a dialog saying:
The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its
companion shared library.

I've run through this process many times, with the same result each time.
Re: Eclipse installer .p2 on Linux VM continually gets translated to 'C:\Users\<user>\.p2\pool [message #1829418 is a reply to message #1829417] Fri, 03 July 2020 06:06 Go to previous message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
Ok, well, I've managed to resolve this. I think in the previous attempts, I might have been clearing ~/.eclipse or ~/.p2, but not both. This time, I made sure everything was cleared out before I unpacked and ran the installer, and this time it finally worked and launched.
Previous Topic:Install of 2020-06 on Ubuntu 18.04 VM fails with "Input is not in the XZ format"
Next Topic:eclipse error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:11:54 GMT 2024