Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse run of spring boot project often terminates without error
Eclipse run of spring boot project often terminates without error [message #1829356] Wed, 01 July 2020 21:14 Go to next message
Todd Froyland is currently offline Todd FroylandFriend
I have several Spring boot applications that I run out of Eclipse using the regular Java/Run option (not the Spring boot plugin). This has worked well for a long time. Recently, I upgraded to Java 11 (from 8) and upgraded to a more recent version of Spring boot (2.2.7). Now, when I try to run, I often see just <terminated> in my Console window title (no output). It goes through the normal prepare stage ("Launching Application..."), but then, just as the program should start, it stops with no errors. This is a somewhat intermittent problem, as it sometimes does run. I have not been able to determine anything I can do to make sure it runs. Occasionally, I will get a Java JVM error, including a hs error file (see attached hs_err_pid12800.log file). I do not know if that is a different issue or I just managed to get some output in this case.

I have tried changing memory parameters, including the type of garbage collection, but nothing seems to make a difference.

My Eclipse version is 2020-03.

I am at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this issue, and any suggestions would be welcome.
Re: Eclipse run of spring boot project often terminates without error [message #1829359 is a reply to message #1829356] Wed, 01 July 2020 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

If your JVM is crashing, the first thing I'd try is a different JVM and JRE.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse run of spring boot project often terminates without error [message #1829733 is a reply to message #1829359] Thu, 09 July 2020 16:55 Go to previous message
Todd Froyland is currently offline Todd FroylandFriend
This appears to be a result of the following bug:

JDK-8244611: Launching JVM with large '@' argument file causes random JVM crashes

I followed some of the advice given here:

STS4 fails to launch Spring Boot app with higher number of dependencies

In particular, I had to run using the Spring Tools Spring Boot App run configuration. I unchecked "Fast startup" on the Spring Boot tab and checked "Use temporary JAR..." on the Classpath tab.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.
Previous Topic:"Run Configuration" naming
Next Topic:How do I check what is the argument in a boolean?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:44:16 GMT 2024