Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) » SWT on iOS and Android(Any plans to have SWT support iOS and Android?)
SWT on iOS and Android [message #1829257] Mon, 29 June 2020 17:01 Go to next message
Andy Maleh is currently offline Andy MalehFriend
Hi,

I haven't presented at EclipseCon (nor attended) for a while. Does anyone know if there are plans for SWT supporting iOS (via this JVM, SubstrateVM, or whatever is mentioned by this article) and Android?

I realize there are other options like:

But, none of them would fulfill my need. My goal is to transparently support the Glimmer DSL for SWT in a mobile Java Ruby implementation (e.g. SubstrateVM-based Ruby) on iOS and Android with little effort.

EclipseCon / EclipseWorld / Agile Conference Speaker
Open-Source Software Author of Glimmer DSL for SWT

[Updated on: Mon, 29 June 2020 17:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SWT on iOS and Android [message #1829451 is a reply to message #1829257] Fri, 03 July 2020 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin J is currently offline Martin JFriend
I don't think it's possible to port SWT to iOS and Android. SWT is based mouse and keyboard interface. Android and iOS are based on touch screen!
Re: SWT on iOS and Android [message #1829496 is a reply to message #1829451] Sun, 05 July 2020 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andy Maleh is currently offline Andy MalehFriend
People thought the same thing before SWT was developed to support 3 very different platforms natively. Turns out you can have SWT approximate and translate the differences between Windows, Mac, and Linux without too much fuss. And, the rest is history.

Taps are just like mouse clicks. Touch moves are just like mouse moves. And, on-screen keyboard is just like a real keyboard. Also, a mobile screen is just like a real monitor, having x and y co-ordinates.

Check this video out for an example of other efforts accomplishing exactly that with JavaFX and Gluon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eohuPOXHRQQ

EclipseCon / EclipseWorld / Agile Conference Speaker
Open-Source Software Author of Glimmer DSL for SWT
Re: SWT on iOS and Android [message #1829509 is a reply to message #1829496] Mon, 06 July 2020 03:18 Go to previous message
Martin J is currently offline Martin JFriend
SWT works only on Windows smoothly. It's cranky on Mac. I am not sure whether it's the problem of MacOS. Linux SWT is useful only for simple programs! I wrote both on Android and SWT. I know both well. If you ever develop serious program on both, you should know why. Some similarity doesn't make good reason.

Note that SWT is open source. You can port to Android and iOS if you can!

[Updated on: Mon, 06 July 2020 04:16]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:ARM port
Next Topic:Hyperlinks do not show correctly with scaling
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 15:50:20 GMT 2024