Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Generally bad performance with Eclipse
Generally bad performance with Eclipse [message #1828604] Sun, 14 June 2020 17:56 Go to next message
Jack Hedges is currently offline Jack HedgesFriend
Hello everyone

I've been using Eclipse for a few years now, but recently I seem to be getting extremely bad performance, on relatively simple tasks. For example, copy/pasting will take a few seconds to process, and when I go to ctrl+click on something to shortcut to its location, often the text wont highlight at all and not let me go through (even on class names etc that I'd successfully clicked to earlier the same session).

My Eclipse is pretty vanilla. I'm running 4.15.0, and only have one third-party plugin which has never caused problems in previous installations.

My PC has 32GB RAM, and an i7 5820k. Neither resource seems to be spiking at all when Eclipse is having trouble processing things.

Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks!
Re: Generally bad performance with Eclipse [message #1828605 is a reply to message #1828604] Sun, 14 June 2020 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

OS clipboards can hold more than one representation of what you're copying, so performance of that is highly dependent on what you're copying and from where. So what are you copying, and from where?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Generally bad performance with Eclipse [message #1828631 is a reply to message #1828605] Mon, 15 June 2020 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jack Hedges is currently offline Jack HedgesFriend
It's literally only tiny things, and will vary. Say I have a variable name that's 10 characters long, and need to use it a few times in a row for different calls to set properties on an object. I'll copy-paste the variable name, the first time I paste it'll take a few seconds before appearing, then I press . and the call list will appear immediately. Then I'll paste it a second time and it appears straight away, but I have to wait 5 or so seconds for the call list after pressing .. The third time everything might work fine, it's completely random. Sometimes I'll even type a line of code and it wont appear until a few seconds later, then all appear at once

I know a few seconds doesn't seem much but it adds up and it's really slowing me down
Re: Generally bad performance with Eclipse [message #1828643 is a reply to message #1828631] Mon, 15 June 2020 15:23 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Ok, but you've not mentioned where it's being copied from. This variable name, is it in the Java Editor? The C/C+ Editor? Somewhere else?

If you can get a dump of what's going on during one of these pauses, it might be a starting point for having something done about them. https://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Unable to launch Eclipse in Ubuntu
Next Topic:jar creation failed . class files on classpath not found or not accessible
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:15:48 GMT 2024