Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Problem with Launch Task did not find External Tool configuration on first run
Problem with Launch Task did not find External Tool configuration on first run [message #1828492] Wed, 10 June 2020 16:33 Go to next message
Frank Becker is currently offline Frank BeckerFriend
I add a new Install option to the Mylyn.setup.

If you select Maintainer we install a git repository with submodules. But the first run fails in task "Launch submodulConfig". If I run the setup again it finish normal.

I checked that the project org.eclipse.mylyn.releng holding the shell script and the submodulConfig.launch is imported by the Projects Import.

Did someone know how to solve this?

With the shell script I change the git config for the submodules so that I can use Gerrit reviews.

Re: Problem with Launch Task did not find External Tool configuration on first run [message #1828502 is a reply to message #1828492] Thu, 11 June 2020 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I tried it, and it runs the first time, at least while I was trying to remote debug it, but it always fails:
Exception occurred executing command line.
Cannot run program "D:\user-home-test\mylyn-master\git\org.eclipse.mylyn.all\org.eclipse.mylyn\org.eclipse.mylyn.releng\bin\submodulConfig.sh" (in directory "D:\user-home-test\mylyn-master\git\org.eclipse.mylyn.all"): CreateProcess error=193, %1 is not a valid Win32 application

So it's hard for me to comment on how this should work and how it fails on platforms where it actually executes the shell script. The script appears to be modifying the git clones to configure them...

But interesting if I remote debug it and set the breakpoint after the lookup of the configuration in org.eclipse.oomph.setup.launching.impl.LaunchTaskImpl.perform(SetupTaskContext) it doesn't find it, but then if I do a drop to frame, it finds it the second time.

Looking a bit more deeply, indeed the launch configurations are added to the launch manager by a job that processes the resource deltas from the projects import task.

Adding this to LaunchTaskImpl.perform appears to address that issue:
    IJobManager jobManager = Job.getJobManager();
    jobManager.join(org.eclipse.core.internal.events.NotificationManager.class, context.getProgressMonitor(true));
Of course it never works on Windows.

Perhaps we should only do the wait when we don't find it on the first attempt.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Problem with Launch Task did not find External Tool configuration on first run [message #1828505 is a reply to message #1828502] Thu, 11 June 2020 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tank you for the reply,

You are right, this is actual only a way to setup the workspace on linux or mac. I need to create a windows version and use a filter to make sure that only one of both get trigged.

Now that I know that tis is because of a async Job execution I add a predecessor to the Launch setup task. So now between the Project Import and the Lauch I add the Modular Target (Eclipse Platform).
With this change I can successfully setup a new Mac or Linux installation (only tested for Mac).

Should I create a bug / enhancement so that org.eclipse.oomph.setup.launching.impl.LaunchTaskImpl.perform(SetupTaskContext) wait some time when the first attempt fails?
Should I create a enhancement for the git clone task so that when you know that you are cloning a repository with Gerrit config and submodules we also have the Gerrit config in all submodules. Then I do no longer have the need for this special Launch configuration.

Re: Problem with Launch Task did not find External Tool configuration on first run [message #1828511 is a reply to message #1828505] Thu, 11 June 2020 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I think the "join" generally makes sense so please open a Bugzilla for that.

Yes, it also makes sense to try to provide some support for submodules, though I currently have no idea how this is represented in JGit, but I see a Submodules tree in the outline, so it's probably relatively simple to walk that tree somehow. At that risk of sounding greedy, I fear that my capacity to provide "free features" is already stretched beyond any reasonable limit...

Ed Merks
Re: Problem with Launch Task did not find External Tool configuration on first run [message #1828527 is a reply to message #1828511] Thu, 11 June 2020 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, then I create the two bugzilla tasks and try to create a contribution!

For the last on it can take some time until I can present a soultion and maybe I do need some input or answers to open questions.

Is this OK for you?
Re: Problem with Launch Task did not find External Tool configuration on first run [message #1828529 is a reply to message #1828527] Thu, 11 June 2020 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, that sounds good. :-)

Ed Merks
Re: Problem with Launch Task did not find External Tool configuration on first run [message #1828555 is a reply to message #1828529] Fri, 12 June 2020 01:14 Go to previous message
Done!

[ 564206] LaunchTask can fail when Job for projects import task is not finished ( review 164706)
[564220] Add Gerrit Config to submodules ( review 164732)
Previous Topic:Different version requirements in product versions
Next Topic:NPE in Dialog Eclipse Installer Extentions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:26:44 GMT 2024