Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (WTP) » Latest download does not contain WTP
Latest download does not contain WTP [message #1828313] Sun, 07 June 2020 07:08 Go to next message
Andreas Re is currently offline Andreas ReFriend
Just downloaded the official web developer version from here:

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/2020-03/R/eclipse-javascript-2020-03-R-incubation-win32-x86_64.zip

However, when I started eclipse, none of the WDT plugins were installed.

Can someone please confirm with the latest installer?
Re: Latest download does not contain WTP [message #1828339 is a reply to message #1828313] Mon, 08 June 2020 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

That's mostly correct. The list of feature IDs found on https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2020-03/r/eclipse-ide-web-and-javascript-developers-includes-incubating-components show that package, and corresponding installation option, are built around a different set of tools with a different opinion on how those tools should be integrated.

You can add the Web Developer Tools to your installation from the Help menu, by using its Install New Software action. More guidance can be
found at https://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_FAQ#How_do_I_install_WTP.3F .

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Mon, 08 June 2020 01:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Latest download does not contain WTP [message #1832328 is a reply to message #1828339] Wed, 16 September 2020 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Smith is currently offline Mark SmithFriend
Check this one
https://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_upgrade_Eclipse_IDE%3F
Re: Latest download does not contain WTP [message #1832431 is a reply to message #1832328] Thu, 17 September 2020 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Anderson is currently offline Jim AndersonFriend
I have manage to install the Web Development Tools for Eclipse. I am currently running:
Version: 2020-09 (4.17.0)
Build id: 20200910-1200

I have created a Dynamic Web Project that includes both java source code under a 'src' folder and jsp code under a 'WebContent' folder.

I have add a tomcat 8.0 server and Eclipse shows that is started and synchronized.

I'm not sure how to run the code. What I have tried is to select my index.jsp file in the project navigator, then I right clicked and selected 'Debug As --> Debug Configurations'.

A configuration window pops up. In that window, I select 'Running Firefox Debugger' then I click on the 'New launch configuration', I then enter the name 'bh' for the configuration and click on the 'Apply' button. I then clicked on the 'Debug' button. An error window popped up with:
"Unexpected Exception ---- Reason: Unexpected Exception".

Does anyone have any suggestions or guidance how to get my project running?

Re: Latest download does not contain WTP [message #1832538 is a reply to message #1832431] Mon, 21 September 2020 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You should be able to Debug As->Debug on Server. If not, make sure you have the "JST Server UI " feature installed and, with 2020-09, are running the IDE itself with Java 11 or newer.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Latest download does not contain WTP [message #1833007 is a reply to message #1832538] Wed, 30 September 2020 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@Nitin

Thank you for your response. It got me one step closer. The "JST UI" was not installed, so I have installed it.

I still cannot run the the WTP. I was going to close this issue and open a new one to describe my current issue, but I cannot figure out how to close this thread and mark it as resolved, so I will
continue in this thread with my next post.

Jim

[Updated on: Wed, 30 September 2020 14:01]

Re: Latest download does not contain WTP [message #1833009 is a reply to message #1833007] Wed, 30 September 2020 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am making progress in get the WTP to work, but I have a new problem.

I have a project installed. When try to run:

Debug As --> Debug on server, a 'Debug on Server" window pops up which prompts:

How do you want to select the server?

There are 2 cases. I tried both and each failed in its own way.

Case 1: Choose an existing server

I select the only value shown:
localhost --> J2EE Preview at localhost

My project showed up in the configured column and I clicked on 'finish'

A blank editor window popped up. On my system the default editor is a
Geany editor window.

I have no idea if I am supposed to enter configuration data or something
else in this editor window, so I had to exit the edit and then try Case 2

Case 2: Manually define a new server

When this option is chosen, a box appears with the title, "Select the server type'
and a list of possible servers appears. I select Apache and then 'Tomcat V8.0
server' which is the server I am running on localhost:8080.

I then click on 'Next' and a follow up 'Tomcat Server Specify the installation directory'
window appears. I click on 'Browse..." and an error window pops up with the followng
Problem Occured
Unhandled event loop exception
No more handles

Case 2 is a bug and I will submit it. My hope is that the developers can replicate it.

My question: In case 1, can I enter some relevant data and go into debug mode?

Jim A

Re: Latest download does not contain WTP [message #1833025 is a reply to message #1833009] Thu, 01 October 2020 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The Preview server, unfortunately, doesn't support server-side debugging of JSPs, but just to make sure we're on the same page,
are you trying to debug JavaScript on the rendered version of the JSP in a web browser (Firefox), or are you looking to debug the Java
on the server-side as your JSP executes to render page output for the client?

If it's the server-side, case 2 could be what's described in the FAQ.

As for case 1, running and debugging on server are meant to open what you've selected using your Web Browser. Check that preference
page to see if Geany is set there somehow. Unless what's opened actually requests your page, it won't be executed and you won't have any code
executing to debug.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai

[Updated on: Thu, 01 October 2020 02:40]

Re: Latest download does not contain WTP [message #1833056 is a reply to message #1833025] Thu, 01 October 2020 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At the moment, I am trying to debug server-side java. However as I progress, I will likely want to debug javascript of the JSP. I am working in Firefox.

Jim

P.S. I will be reading the FAQ later today. Thanks for the pointer.
Re: Latest download does not contain WTP [message #1833126 is a reply to message #1833056] Fri, 02 October 2020 23:53 Go to previous message

Then I you need to use an actual server, like Tomcat. Do you have entries from your Error Log when you had issues trying to set that up?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Previous Topic:Alternative XML Schema View
Next Topic:No syntax highlighting for JS files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:20:03 GMT 2024