Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » MacOS, UseCase, Actors not stick characters(Version: 2020-06 (4.16.0))
MacOS, UseCase, Actors not stick characters [message #1828158] Wed, 03 June 2020 02:55 Go to next message
Sam Warner is currently offline Sam WarnerFriend
I am not sure why, but the actors aren't showing as a stick character. I noticed that in 2017 folks mentioned there's a patch to fix this issue, so I would have imagined this would be in place 2020-06. Am I missing something?

Re: MacOS, UseCase, Actors not stick characters [message #1828165 is a reply to message #1828158] Wed, 03 June 2020 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Sam
actors might have different graphical representations. It is quite common to only use the stick character in use case diagrams, while using a rectangular box in class diagrams.
To figure out, what happened, it would be helpful, if you attach diagrams or screenshots.
/Carsten
Re: MacOS, UseCase, Actors not stick characters [message #1829957 is a reply to message #1828165] Tue, 14 July 2020 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam Warner is currently offline Sam WarnerFriend
HI Carsten,

Finally what I did to debug - essentially eliminated the problem. Albeit left it lingering for the next individual. I'll go back and recreate the steps that led to the problem to aid further in diagnosing/resolving.

Originally I had CDT C/C++, Papyrus, BPMN2, all installed in one Eclipse IDE on my MacOS. After trying for hours to create the 'Stickman', I gave up and went to do some work in BPMN only to obtain error messages there. Fortunately the C/C++ stuff worked (though connecting GDB has some reliability issues that I work around. Anyhoo.... without digressing too far. What I observed is the error messages within the BPMN plug-ins implied that there was an inter-op issue with other plug-ins. Then I began to look at the array of shared components between Papyrus and BPMN and realized I had a nightmare if I was going to try and debug. Instead.... as I had a license to Parallels, I chose to create n-installs of MacOS using Parallels, and the install a unique Eclipse IDE for each C/C++, BPMN, UML and SysML effort. These virtualized installs - eliminated the inter-op error messages for BPMN, with the added benefit that the elusive 'stickman' appeared for the UseCase diagrams in the UML/Eclipse install. My suggestion, is that others who have large sets of tools/projects installed into Eclipse, where they are running into mysterious bugs may want to opt to use the same technique.

Before switching the the virtualized OS solution, I tried multiple workspaces for Eclipse with unique installs for each Eclipse project. That didn't work, and I don't know why. I chose the virtualized OS solution as it seemed like at least I could get productive :), albeit I did leave a lingering issue. I'll put it on my todo list to further diagnose the difference between the Eclipse/UML install that had the other projects installed too, and the pristine Eclipse/UML install that works.
Re: MacOS, UseCase, Actors not stick characters [message #1843083 is a reply to message #1829957] Wed, 14 July 2021 15:51 Go to previous message
James Alesi is currently offline James AlesiFriend
Sam Warner wrote on Tue, 14 July 2020 18:58
HI Carsten,

Finally what I did to debug - essentially eliminated the problem. Albeit left it lingering for the next individual. I'll go back and recreate the steps that led to the problem to aid further in diagnosing/resolving.

Originally I had CDT C/C++, Papyrus, BPMN2, all installed in one Eclipse IDE on my MacOS. After trying for hours to create the 'Stickman', I gave up and went to do some work in BPMN only to obtain error messages there. Fortunately the C/C++ stuff worked (though connecting GDB has some reliability issues that I work around. Anyhoo.... without digressing too far. What I observed is the error messages within the BPMN plug-ins implied that there was an inter-op issue with other plug-ins. Then I began to look at the array of shared components between Papyrus and BPMN and realized I had a nightmare if I was going to try and debug. Instead.... as I had a license to Parallels, I chose to create n-installs of MacOS using Parallels, and the install a unique Eclipse IDE for each C/C++, BPMN, UML and SysML effort. These virtualized installs - eliminated the inter-op error messages for BPMN, with the added benefit that the elusive 'stickman' appeared for the UseCase diagrams in the UML/Eclipse install. My suggestion, is that others who have large sets of tools/projects installed into Eclipse, where they are running into mysterious bugs may want to opt to use the same technique.

Before switching the the virtualized OS solution, I tried multiple workspaces for Eclipse with unique installs for each Eclipse project. That didn't work, and I don't know why. I chose the virtualized OS solution as it seemed like at least I could get productive :), albeit I did leave a lingering issue. I'll put it on my todo list to further diagnose the difference between the Eclipse/UML install that had the other projects installed too, and the pristine Eclipse/UML install that works.

This is a great solution, except I have no idea what any of it means. I installed Papyrus 4.8 and SysML 1.4 and have the same issue. Not using C++ or anything else that I know of.

Previous Topic:JVM shared library does not contain the JNI_CreateJavaVM symbol
Next Topic:Export Papyrus Model to .csv or .xml
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:32:09 GMT 2024