Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » JDT compiler(JDT requires Ant Built Tool)
JDT compiler [message #1828055] Sun, 31 May 2020 03:55 Go to next message
andrew goh is currently offline andrew gohFriend
I have trouble compiling a Java file as it requires a Ant Build tool. I presumed it to be the Apache Ant package. Duly downloaded it, but whenever, I press on the "Run" button, it offers me two Ant choices - 1) Launches an Ant build with default and 2) Launches an Ant build and allows it... Selecting either Ant build will show a pop up window that shows "Build Failed - Reason: Unable to find an Ant file to run"!! I wonder what is wrong. Need to get JDT working, before I move all my software development to Eclipse.

Re: JDT compiler [message #1828058 is a reply to message #1828055] Sun, 31 May 2020 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eitan Rosenberg is currently offline Eitan RosenbergFriend
I admit that I do not use Ant myself (I am happy with the built in functionality of Eclipse ).

Looking at a tutorial I can see that Ant's build file, called build.xml needs to be present.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/ant/ant_build_files.htm

https://ant.apache.org/manual/index.html

Regards.
Re: JDT compiler [message #1828064 is a reply to message #1828058] Sun, 31 May 2020 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Many Eclipse users use JDT very successfully without using Ant, which can pose many difficult challenges. Compiling a Java file does not normally require Ant. Rather generating a Java file may do.

I suggest you investigate more carefully before deciding you need Ant to work; it may be that the Java sources are already available from GIT, or that Ant only affects an obscure plugin that you can use in binary form.

If you really want to see Ant in action have a look at the org.eclipse.emf.importer.ecore plugin.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: JDT compiler [message #1828085 is a reply to message #1828055] Mon, 01 June 2020 06:42 Go to previous message
Manoj Palat is currently offline Manoj PalatFriend
I am presuming that you want to build the ecj command line compiler.
open export-ecj.xml in eclipse.jdt.core/scripts - then use Ant to build - you will get the ecj_all.jar, which is the command line ecj compiler jar.

Regards,
Manoj

Manoj N Palat
Eclipse Java Development Tools (JDT).
Previous Topic:Breakpoints stop working with JUnits/Mockito mid-development
Next Topic:Tools and frameworks for the modern Java developer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Nov 28 11:27:21 GMT 2020