Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Last try(Desperately trying to simulate a state machine with Papyrus/Moka)
Last try [message #1827844] Mon, 25 May 2020 13:17 Go to next message
Peter Boudewijns is currently offline Peter BoudewijnsFriend
Hi All,

I'm running out of ideas, time and inspiration. After hours and hours of reading, searching and trying I still have no clue HOW to add valid triggers, guards and effects to transitions in a single, 'stand-alone' state machine diagram.
And believe me, I've tried every example and tutorial I could find. But the things they show all lead to a failing state machine. It simply terminates Moka with status "0" or shows a JavaNullPointerException.

So, does anyone have, or know of a piece of info describing this undocumented corner of the Papyrus/Moka symbiosis? I cannot even begin to tell you how glad I would be if I could only simulate a state machine. And if this question remains unanswered completely (like my previous one) I'll give up.

Peter
Re: Last try [message #1827850 is a reply to message #1827844] Mon, 25 May 2020 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Peter
What about contacting Pauline Deville via <first-name>.<last-name>@cea.fr directly?
Pauline Deville is the official Moka comitter and shall be able to tell you someone to ask.
/Carsten
Re: Last try [message #1827855 is a reply to message #1827850] Mon, 25 May 2020 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Carsten,

I'll give it a try. Somehow I presumed questions in the forum were the only possibility. But when the official comitter is directly reacheable this must be the best option to get an answer :-)

Peter
Re: Last try [message #1827931 is a reply to message #1827855] Wed, 27 May 2020 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ansgar Radermacher is currently offline Ansgar RadermacherFriend
I'll ask Jérémie whether he can look at your question, as Pauline is on maternity leave.
Re: Last try [message #1827933 is a reply to message #1827931] Wed, 27 May 2020 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All the best wishes to Pauline.
Well, maternity is one of the most natural things in the world. Without we all would not exist. But nevertheless it is a change and sometimes challenging.
/Carsten

[Updated on: Wed, 27 May 2020 07:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Last try [message #1827944 is a reply to message #1827931] Wed, 27 May 2020 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Ansgar. I appreciate it very much!
Re: Last try [message #1828334 is a reply to message #1827931] Sun, 07 June 2020 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Ansgar,

On the 27th of May I believed my question was on the verge of being answered. But till now, June 7th it remains silent. Did you ask Jeremie? If so, doesn't he have an answer? Or is something else the case?

Please let me know at least enough for me to make a choice between putting even more effort in my endless trying, or discarding the software completely.

Kindest regards,

Peter
Re: Last try [message #1828335 is a reply to message #1828334] Sun, 07 June 2020 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe it is a good idea to wait until SiriusCon is over. The SiriusCon is scheduled for June 18th.
Not that long.
/Carsten
Re: Last try [message #1828337 is a reply to message #1828335] Sun, 07 June 2020 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand why Sirius would be the way to go for me.
In my opinion Papyrus/Moka was Just right as far as my programming skills reach.
So yet another framework doesn't make it look easier for me.

Peter
Re: Last try [message #1828378 is a reply to message #1828337] Mon, 08 June 2020 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, but the teams of Ansgar might be involved in organizing that event.
/Carsten
Re: Last try [message #1828540 is a reply to message #1828337] Thu, 11 June 2020 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arnaud Cuccuru is currently offline Arnaud CuccuruFriend
Hello,

Sorry for the delay in the replies, the teams are quite busy indeed.

In general, Moka implements this OMG specification: https://www.omg.org/spec/PSSM/1.0/PDF (Precise Semantics of UML State Machines)

The specification includes a "Test suite" section (with numerous examples of executable statemachines), in which you can probably find answers to your questions.

If needed, please share your model, and I can try to fix it so that it executes.

Best regards,

Arnaud (former Moka developper, and still occasional Moka user)
Re: Last try [message #1830992 is a reply to message #1828540] Sat, 08 August 2020 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Arnaud,

My apologies for the very late reply to your answer.
Since I reached the point where I had no ideas at all about the next step to take, I shifted my focus to other interests. Only now, I thought about looking at the forum again, and to my surprise I found your reply.

So, now I'm absolutely going to give it another try :-)

I'll let you know if/when I have any progress .....

Kindest regards,

Peter
Re: Last try [message #1831017 is a reply to message #1828540] Sun, 09 August 2020 15:01 Go to previous message
index.php/fa/38757/0/Hi Arnaud,

Well, I've looked into the OMG document. As it turns out I already found the code containing the Test-Suite examples on the internet a few weeks ago. But this is all far to complicated with regard to my problem.

I just want to simulate a simple State Machine, NOT owned by a class or whatever. I want t know HOW/WHERE I can define transition GUARDS in the State Machine diagram that actually RUN in a MOKA simulation.
When I do NOT set the state machine's state to active (since it isn't owned by a class) I always get a NullPointer exception after the first transition. When I set this state to active it only takes the transition from my Initial to the first state. Then MOKA returns with status 0. Presumably this means OK, but not for me.

I've attached a screenshot from my state machine, please advise on a document or whatever that describes the way to define triggers/guards/entr- and exit etcetera.

Im becoming desperate now .......

Peter
Previous Topic:SOT: Papyrus running on OpenJ9 JRE
Next Topic:Papyrus SysML Tutorial (version 0.1.3)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:05:42 GMT 2024