Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Moronic error message on install(I successfully downloaded and extracted the tar.gz file for the latest eclipse, only to be told I need network access--IDIOTIC!!!!!)
Moronic error message on install [message #1827304] Tue, 12 May 2020 17:00 Go to next message
Jeff Mullen is currently offline Jeff MullenFriend
I'm out of patience with the way that eclipse and its associated files not only do not work but give the most idiotic error messages and leave me to try to pick up the pieces.

I am trying to install the latest version of eclipse, downloaded from eclipse.org, on a system running Linux Mint 19. I will not go into detail as to why I am attempting to install it over the deb package that comes with Mint, but it involves the frustration of having to deal with idiotic error messages.

So...I click on the installer...and...

The catalog could not be loaded. Please ensure that you have network access and, if needed, have configured your network proxy.

TALK ABOUT IDIOCY! I JUST DOWNLOADED THE @#$$@#$ FILE!!!! MY NETWORK CONNECTION IS JUST FINE!!!!!

I may not seem like much, but I have a Bachelor's degree in comp sci from RIT, a top-10 school, and one of the first things they teach in their students' freshman year is MAKE THE ERROR MESSAGES COMPREHENSIBLE.

This crap wouldn't make it out of a first-year intro course.

Can someone explain to me how to make this thing work--because it won't, not in a million years. And I looked at the forums already. All I found was an FAQ that's--as usual--about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

How utterly moronic.
Re: Moronic error message on install [message #1827321 is a reply to message #1827304] Wed, 13 May 2020 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

I'm not sure what response you're trying to draw with this, but you'll find the sources and the error message by browsing to https://git.eclipse.org/r/plugins/gitiles/oomph/org.eclipse.oomph . Perhaps you can improve it.

Otherwise, you might be able to download the package you're looking for directly from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages .

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Wed, 13 May 2020 04:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Moronic error message on install [message #1827360 is a reply to message #1827321] Wed, 13 May 2020 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your timely reply.

Installing the "package" resolved the issue.

This is a moot point--I include it only for informative purposes--but the listing of error messages was useless--they were from THE PLATFORM but the one I was getting was from THE INSTALLER. Forgive me if I do not word this more diplomatically--as I wrote, it is trivial under the circumstances anyway.

Mind you, the installation was not perfect. It did not delete the old version, something that windows installers have led me to, reasonably or not, expect, but I should be able to handle the clean-up.

As to the response I was looking for, it was pretty much the one I got, with the caveat that I would appreciate it if you could also point out basic documentation on what the IDE is composed of (ant and maven being two subcomponents where I'm looking for a complete list), what the subcomponents do and how they're integrated.

Finally, I'm looking for information on how to import/export working projects from one computer/OS to another. The reason I was in such a foul mood in the first place is that I was using an unnecessarily difficult process to perform such a transfer--I had to manually create first the project then each individual package then each individual class/source file before I could copy the source files to the target destination. This did not vex me. What vexed me was that on top of that, when I tried to run the projects to test them, eclipse would choose random projects and tell me that these had no main module even though they all did, and deleting and re-importing the project(s) had no effect on this. This is the problem that the newer version seems to have solved.

Which brings the next problem to the top of the stack: there HAS to be an easier way to port code. Hence my request.
Re: Moronic error message on install [message #1827445 is a reply to message #1827360] Thu, 14 May 2020 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Emmanuel Chebbi is currently offline Emmanuel ChebbiFriend
Jeff Mullen wrote on Wed, 13 May 2020 19:33
Finally, I'm looking for information on how to import/export working projects from one computer/OS to another. The reason I was in such a foul mood in the first place is that I was using an unnecessarily difficult process to perform such a transfer.

The simplest way to share projects is through a VCS like Git; Vogella presents Eclipse's Git support.

Alternatively you can use the contextual menu:

1. Export: right-click on a project > Export.. > General > Archive file
  2. Somehow copy the archive file to the other computer
  3. Import: File > Import... > Existing Projects into Workspace > Select archive file

Jeff Mullen wrote on Wed, 13 May 2020 19:33
I had to manually create first the project then each individual package then each individual class/source file before I could copy the source files to the target destination.

Not sure to understand that part though: of you course you need a project with source files before copying it... Are you talking about a project which is not an Eclipse project? Those can be imported into Eclipse IDE as follows:

• File > Import... > Projects from Folder or Achive

Eclipse IDE is usually able to detect the natures of the new project (Java, Maven, etc.). For specific technologies you may want to ask the question on dedicated forums.
Re: Moronic error message on install [message #1827457 is a reply to message #1827445] Thu, 14 May 2020 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks again. That made the import/export process much easier.

If, again, you could refer me to the proper documentation so that I wouldn't need to take your time on these forums, I think it would be a win-win.

Specifically, how does eclipse determine where a main module is? How does one access this information? Likewise, when I add a folder and add a graphics file (a .png or a .jpg), how does eclipse know where the "build path" is to look for these files? How can I find out what it "thinks" the "build path" is and what files, if any, it "sees" in that folder?

Again, I am looking not for an a direct answer but for the location of the documentation that answers these questions.
Re: Moronic error message on install [message #1827486 is a reply to message #1827457] Fri, 15 May 2020 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Have you tried the help files loaded with Eclipse?

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Moronic error message on install [message #1827513 is a reply to message #1827457] Sat, 16 May 2020 10:54 Go to previous message
Emmanuel Chebbi is currently offline Emmanuel ChebbiFriend
Jeff Mullen wrote on Thu, 14 May 2020 23:36
If, again, you could refer me to the proper documentation so that I wouldn't need to take your time on these forums, I think it would be a win-win.

Eclipse IDE is a big system made of a lot of sub-projects, each project being developed independantly. Depending on what you're looking for, the documentation can be sparse (between official documentation, forums, stackoverflow, blog posts, source code, etc.) and may even not exist at all. So it's a bit difficult to point you to "the" location of the documentation.

As Tauno Voipio said, Eclipse IDE embeds the documentation of the plug-ins you installed: Help > Help Contents and it's likely the most comprehensive you'll find. You can also check it online: https://help.eclipse.org/2020-03/index.jsp.

Specifically, how does eclipse determine where a main module is? How does one access this information?

I guess you're talking about Java modules so you'll be interested in the JDT Plug-in Developer Guide section which is Java Development Tools' documentation (and maybe even Java development user guide which is more user-oriented).

Likewise, when I add a folder and add a graphics file (a .png or a .jpg), how does eclipse know where the "build path" is to look for these files? How can I find out what it "thinks" the "build path" is and what files, if any, it "sees" in that folder?

Are you talking about Java's build path? It's again managed by JDT: https://help.eclipse.org/2020-03/topic/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.user/reference/ref-properties-build-path.htm. It is stored in the .classpath file located at the root of the project.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 May 2020 10:55]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Eclipse don't download things
Next Topic:Installing Problem: Eclipse Java IDE on Raspberry Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:15:41 GMT 2024