Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Eclipse RCP Dynamic help customization with dynamic url (Customizing Eclipse help url on fly)
Eclipse RCP Dynamic help customization with dynamic url [message #1826819] Fri, 01 May 2020 10:46 Go to next message
sarath s is currently offline sarath sFriend
Is it possible to modify the url for each context for dynamic help on the fly.
PlatformUI.getWorkbench().getHelpSystem().displayDynamicHelp()

is binded with context.xml which has topics.
But now it has to replace static html with dynamic url, which changes every day for each context.
Or can we map http url in context.xml and pass dynamic suffix to the url which has the key.

Details:
1)earlier context sensitive help system mapped with the static html.
2)Now the context sensitive help system has to updated with dynamic url.
Re: Eclipse RCP Dynamic help customization with dynamic url [message #1826830 is a reply to message #1826819] Fri, 01 May 2020 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolf Theunissen is currently offline Rolf TheunissenFriend
I am not familiar enough with the help system, though I can provide you with a few keywords:

IContextProvider, IContext, IContext2, IHelpResource

If the part is adaptable to a IContextProvider, and that IContentProvider gives IContext for the selected Control, then the IContext can provide IHelpResource for the control. This IHelpResource can return a URL to whatever you want.
The best source of documentation might be the source code of the help system: HelpView and ReusableHelpPart#update

See also: http://richclientplatform.blogspot.com/2008/04/dynamic-context-help.html
Re: Eclipse RCP Dynamic help customization with dynamic url [message #1827240 is a reply to message #1826830] Mon, 11 May 2020 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sarath s is currently offline sarath sFriend
hi thanks for the answer,

im facing few issues with the IContextProvider,
implemented org.eclipse.help.contentProducer extension and, this provider,
but this class getting called when context.xml has the context
and getInputStream is calling recursively once the dynamic help is called.
is there any other extension, that has to be implemented.? even when allowed all iterations being called on "getInputStream " method, returned input stream not showing in help page(returned inputstream of static html string)

thanks

Re: Eclipse RCP Dynamic help customization with dynamic url [message #1827241 is a reply to message #1827240] Mon, 11 May 2020 10:14 Go to previous message
Rolf Theunissen is currently offline Rolf TheunissenFriend
I can't help you further, have never used it myself. I guess you will have to start reading the source and start debugging to see what is going on.
Previous Topic:eclipse custom widget like "Outline" or "help"
Next Topic:Run Unittests on Jenkins: Could not load SWT library
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:01:20 GMT 2024