Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Is Project Explorer completely broken?
Is Project Explorer completely broken? [message #1826259] Wed, 22 April 2020 10:38 Go to next message
Radek Adamiak is currently offline Radek AdamiakFriend
Hi fellows.

This is my first post so hello everybody.

Regarding topic, I have an open question: Is Project Explorer completely broken?

Project Explorer is visible by default in fresh Eclipse installation, but I immediately switch it to Package Explorer.
Why?
I have tried to use it more than 10 years ago and it had several issues like: refreshing the project was not showing newly created files on file system and Top elements set as "Working sets" wasn't working at all.

Now I tried again and...it's exactly the same!
Am I doing something wrong or this view is just completely broken and unusable.
Why is it visible by default then?

I am also using Eclipse for JS development and because there is no Package Explorer there, I have to use Project Explorer. And these issues are still there.

How is this possible?

The same issue happens on Windows and Linux, so I don't think refreshing project is OS related.

BR
Radek
Re: Is Project Explorer completely broken? [message #1826262 is a reply to message #1826259] Wed, 22 April 2020 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Emmanuel Chebbi is currently offline Emmanuel ChebbiFriend
Hi,

I have never experienced such issues with the Project Explorer on Windows.

I would advise:

• regarding the Working Sets as top elements, make sure you have selected existing Working Sets (Explorer's kebab menu > Select Working Set...)
  • regarding the refresh, right-click on a project > Refresh has always worked for me. Alternatively, you could force Eclipse IDE to use native polling (Windows > Preference > General > Workspace > Refresh using native hooks or polling).

Hope it helps. Otherwise, if you have a reproducible bug in Eclipse IDE's latest release (2020-03 at the time of writing) I would suggest to submit a bug in Bugzilla [1] so that it can be fixed.

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_report_a_bug_in_Eclipse%3F
Re: Is Project Explorer completely broken? [message #1826776 is a reply to message #1826262] Thu, 30 April 2020 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Radek Adamiak is currently offline Radek AdamiakFriend
Regarding working sets: when I select 'Window working sets' It still shows projects on top. It works only when I manually select particular working sets. It was not the case in 'Package explorer'.

Regarding refreshing: When I right click in some project or forlder in `Project Explorer`, then select New->File and create a new file, it just doesn't appear in a tree. I need to click on a project/folder and refresh it so then it is visible. I don't think it is OS related as I checked it just now on Windows and Linux. And it works just fine in "Package explorer".
Same thing happens when I copy-paste files in `Project Explorer` - files appear ONLY after refresh.

Also refreshing sometimes has problems, but this is yet another story.
I will try to record a videos.
Re: Is Project Explorer completely broken? [message #1826781 is a reply to message #1826776] Thu, 30 April 2020 11:29 Go to previous message
Emmanuel Chebbi is currently offline Emmanuel ChebbiFriend
Radek Adamiak wrote on Thu, 30 April 2020 11:57
Regarding working sets: when I select 'Window working sets' It still shows projects on top. It works only when I manually select particular working sets. It was not the case in 'Package explorer'.

It's true that the Package Explorer automatically opens a Configure Working Sets dialog to ask for selected Working Sets whereas the Project Explorer expects the user to do it afterwards. You may want to create a ticket on Bugzilla to report this.

Radek Adamiak wrote on Thu, 30 April 2020 11:57
Regarding refreshing: When I right click in some project or forlder in `Project Explorer`, then select New->File and create a new file, it just doesn't appear in a tree. I need to click on a project/folder and refresh it so then it is visible. I don't think it is OS related as I checked it just now on Windows and Linux. And it works just fine in "Package explorer".
Same thing happens when I copy-paste files in `Project Explorer` - files appear ONLY after refresh.

I definitely can't reproduce any of these issues on Windows 10. I tried with Eclipse Photon, Oxygen and 2020-03.

Are you using Eclipse 2020-03? Did you try to activate native polling?

As a workaround you can still install JDT's components (which include the Package Explorer):

1. Help > Install New Software...
  2. In the Work with field select the update site that correspond to your release (e.g. http://download.eclipse.org/releases/2020-03) if you're on Eclipse 2020-03
  3. In the tree below check Programming Languages > Eclipse Java Development Tools
Previous Topic:not installed GWT
Next Topic:The import org.eclipse cannot be resolved
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:14:22 GMT 2024