Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Dark theme Java syntax coloring
Dark theme Java syntax coloring [message #1826155] Mon, 20 April 2020 12:31 Go to next message
Julia Kurde is currently offline Julia KurdeFriend
Hello,

I just activated the built-in dark theme of Eclipse (4.15).
Then I changed the rainbow-like syntax coloring by simply unchecking the enabled checkbox for all possible elements.

But: After a restart of Eclipse, the rainbow is back!
So my syntax coloring changes were not saved.

What can I do?

Thanks,
Julia
Re: Dark theme Java syntax coloring [message #1826202 is a reply to message #1826155] Tue, 21 April 2020 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Perhaps there is a bug with saving the preference or some interaction between those preferences and the theme's values for those preferences. If the problem is consistently reproducible, I would suggest opening a bug with a description of the steps needed to reproduce it:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Platform&component=UI

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Dark theme Java syntax coloring [message #1826324 is a reply to message #1826202] Thu, 23 April 2020 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In an older Eclipse version (Indigo Service Release 2, 20120216-1857) the appearance settings were organized differently, but there I can get a simple color theme (*) that takes all colors from the operating system (Windows in this case).

Even when I change the system theme to high-contrast black everything stays readable. All foreground and background colors are just right. There is no need to go into the Eclipse preferences and change anything!

Is something like this still possible in the current Eclipse version? It seems now all font colors are read from some Eclipse internal default, no matter what is the system default.

(*)
Current presentation: Default
Current theme: Reduced Pallette
Re: Dark theme Java syntax coloring [message #1826327 is a reply to message #1826324] Thu, 23 April 2020 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In an Eclipse version, which is a bit newer (Luna Service Release 1 (4.4.1), Build id: 20140925-1800) the appearance settings are similar to the current version. Here, with a system-side high-contrast theme activated, in the preferences the theme is high-contrast (cannot be changed) and when selecting 'Reduced Pallette' as color and font theme, colors are taken from the system.

This option unfortunately does not work anymore for the current eclipse version.
Re: Dark theme Java syntax coloring [message #1826575 is a reply to message #1826202] Mon, 27 April 2020 11:04 Go to previous message
Thanks for the link, Ed.

Bug reports are here
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=562515 (prefs not saved)
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=562516 (default colors not taken from the system when using high contrast)

[Updated on: Mon, 27 April 2020 11:26]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Installation of Eclipse IDE 2020-93 (4.15.0) inatall issues + JDK-14 support
Next Topic:Eclipse did not show output
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 07:53:04 GMT 2024