Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Privacy Settings(manage account settings for this forum)
Privacy Settings [message #1823777] Wed, 01 April 2020 22:35 Go to next message
Ravenous Bugblatterbeast is currently offline Ravenous BugblatterbeastFriend
Hi everyone,

this is my first post and I want to start off with a newcomer-question:

How can I configure my account in a way, that my name is only visible to logged on users? It makes totally sense, that the posts in this forum are indexed in search engines for better accessibility but since there is no way to control or even estimate how long those informations will be stored in those search engines databases, I'd rather not have my name indexed along with them.

I do not mind, sharing my personal information (like my name) with other logged on community members. However, I do mind sharing my personal information with robots and search engines.

Is there a way to configure more privacy settings then the display of city and country?

Best regards
Re: Privacy Settings [message #1823782 is a reply to message #1823777] Thu, 02 April 2020 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
At this point I have no way to know what your name is. I assume you have an Eclipse.org account like I do:

https://accounts.eclipse.org/users/emerks

But I don't know what account is associated with your posts so I don't think I have any way to determine your name or your account.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Privacy Settings [message #1823799 is a reply to message #1823782] Thu, 02 April 2020 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is because I hesitated to give my real name and decided to fill in "Privacy Conscious" until I figured out the available settings.

I've noticed that most people in this forum have given (what looks like) their real names and I've also noticed that those names are visible to everyone including search engines, crawlers and alike.

I was wondering if there is way to hide your name from search engines. Otherwise I'll probably use an alias or initials.
Re: Privacy Settings [message #1823801 is a reply to message #1823799] Thu, 02 April 2020 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, whatever name you use will be visible in the forum regardless of whether one is logged in or not. I doubt the Foundation IT staff have the resource to alter that behavior.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Privacy Settings [message #1823805 is a reply to message #1823777] Thu, 02 April 2020 09:37 Go to previous message
Just wanted to know. Thanks
Previous Topic:Files are opened in last active group of tabs
Next Topic:ESP-IDF Plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 18:07:23 GMT 2024