Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to upload files to a server?(When I create a server all I want to do is enter the name and login credentials.)
How to upload files to a server? [message #1823496] Fri, 27 March 2020 12:40 Go to next message
David Jefferson is currently offline David JeffersonFriend
I have to be missing something here,

All I want to do is, after editing a file (or files), click a button to upload it to a server.

According to the docs,

https://help.eclipse.org/2020-03/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.wst.server.ui.doc.user%2Ftopics%2Ftwpub.html

I try to add a server but it demands a "Server Type", and if I choose (in my case PHP but the same thing happens with java), it demands a "PHP Executable".

Um, all I want to do is upload the file to a remote server by clicking a button. I mean, why do I need to specify an executable? What if hypothetically my entire project is all html? Or .txt files? I expected it would it would just want the login creds.

The potential "Server Types" are "IBM, Oracle, PHP, Red Hat, Resin, SAP". There's no, like "Just a server" type...

Also, in the docs on the page above it says "Select the server and then click the Publish to the server" and then shows the icon. I'm not seeing that icon anywhere in the toolbar.

I'm running:

Eclipse IDE for PHP Developers

Version: 2020-03 (4.15.0)
Build id: 20200313-1211

Which I downloaded 4 days ago.

What am I missing here? This seems like an obvious question.

Thanks

Re: How to upload files to a server? [message #1823498 is a reply to message #1823496] Fri, 27 March 2020 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

You'll notice that that documentation page never mentions "upload." The server tools are there to help you run your web project locally for development and testing. They aren't management tools for remote servers, in which case you would still have to be very specific about the kind of server with which you were interacting. Even then, that sort of feature would usually take the entire application as an update rather than a single file.

Target Management and its Remote System Explorer might be of use here, but I haven't explored them very much.

https://wiki.eclipse.org/TM_and_RSE_FAQ#Working_with_TM_.2F_RSE_as_a_User

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: How to upload files to a server? [message #1823567 is a reply to message #1823498] Sun, 29 March 2020 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok thanks I installed the RSE plugin, thanks. I think I'm pretty close but not quite there.

Still it's odd that an IDE can't just upload ("publish") a file to remote server with just a click of a button right out of the box. I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel here. What ide on earth doesn't fundamentally have the ability to send a file to stage and/or live with just a click? I mean..... this makes no sense.

Does anyone know how I can click a button and upload the file that I just saved locally? Do I really have to switch to another application to just click "upload"??

[Updated on: Sun, 29 March 2020 08:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to upload files to a server? [message #1823598 is a reply to message #1823567] Mon, 30 March 2020 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm no expert, but I imagine that uploading to a server in general is not something that's easily generalized from the client side. After all, what's the protocol for uploading something? Some type of http POST request(s) most likely, but what information all needs to be in the headers to indicate what is being uploaded, and how it's supposed to be processed by the server so that it ends up in the right place on that server? It seems simple in principle, but I don't expect anything could possibly implement an upload-this-arbitrary-thing-to-any-arbitrary-server button.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: How to upload files to a server? [message #1823638 is a reply to message #1823598] Mon, 30 March 2020 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

It's not really a question of simplicity, it's more that once you're past the kick-the-tires stage of an application's development, it's bad practice to directly deploy to production. In some situations it's all but illegal.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: How to upload files to a server? [message #1824098 is a reply to message #1823638] Tue, 07 April 2020 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Mon, 30 March 2020 14:47
It's not really a question of simplicity, it's more that once you're past the kick-the-tires stage of an application's development, it's bad practice to directly deploy to production. In some situations it's all but illegal.

Ok so I've got a php file. Or a simple HTML file. I change it, I test it, I decide it works well enough locally to update the live server. How do I do that within eclipse with the click of a button (And maybe a confirmation prompt window)?

Or I guess my question is- what would "publishing an application" be in eclipse when I just want to fix one file?

@Ed Merks:

How about scp? The same thing I'd have to do on the command line? (Sorry I thought that was obvious.)

[Updated on: Wed, 08 April 2020 13:07]

Re: How to upload files to a server? [message #1824154 is a reply to message #1824098] Wed, 08 April 2020 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
A live server must prepare for maintaining its own personal hygiene, and not let everybody to upload pages to it.

It is intentional to limit the upload to a publicly accessible server.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: How to upload files to a server? [message #1824156 is a reply to message #1824154] Wed, 08 April 2020 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio wrote on Wed, 08 April 2020 18:31
A live server must prepare for maintaining its own personal hygiene, and not let everybody to upload pages to it.

It is intentional to limit the upload to a publicly accessible server.

OK I don't know what means. It doesn't answer the question of how to update the live server with changes. The dev server isn't public.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 April 2020 18:37]

Re: How to upload files to a server? [message #1824212 is a reply to message #1824156] Thu, 09 April 2020 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need to have sufficient rights to store files to the server, in the proper directories (folders) of the Web server process.

Normally, the transfer is done using a file transfer service, like FTP or SCP.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: How to upload files to a server? [message #1824213 is a reply to message #1824212] Thu, 09 April 2020 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio wrote on Thu, 09 April 2020 16:28
You need to have sufficient rights to store files to the server, in the proper directories (folders) of the Web server process.

Normally, the transfer is done using a file transfer service, like FTP or SCP.

Yes I'm well aware; the question was how do I do that within eclipse instead of having to use a seperate application?
Re: How to upload files to a server? [message #1824214 is a reply to message #1824213] Thu, 09 April 2020 16:55 Go to previous message
If you have SSH daemon in the server host, you can use the Remote Systems Explorer with a SSH connection.

You may need to add RSE to you Eclipse installation.

--

Tauno Voipio
Previous Topic:Svn in eclipse
Next Topic:Help needed importing Jersey libraries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:18:53 GMT 2024