Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Getting SSL cert error trying to install plugins from two different sites
Getting SSL cert error trying to install plugins from two different sites [message #1823472] Fri, 27 March 2020 05:08 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
In recent versions of Eclipse, I'm having trouble installing two different plugins. The two plugin names are "Bash Editor" and "Emacs+". For both of these, when I try to connect to the update site, I get "unable to find valid certification path to requested target".

The typical solution to this is to download the site certificate as a ".cer" file, and install it into the "cacerts" file with keytool, in the JDK being used to run Eclipse. I have DONE this for both certificates.

Initially, I was running Eclipse with Java 12, even though my code is compiled with Java 8. Today I tried upgrading the "running" jdk to Java 14, and reimporting the certs into that JDK. No change.

I'm running Windows 10 1809, if that matters.
Re: Getting SSL cert error trying to install plugins from two different sites [message #1823513 is a reply to message #1823472] Fri, 27 March 2020 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

So has the process that worked in the past stopped working, or is this just asking for a better solution? "unable to find valid certification path to requested target" usually indicates a self-signed certificate, and there aren't many safe client-side ways to get around that.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Getting SSL cert error trying to install plugins from two different sites [message #1823538 is a reply to message #1823513] Sat, 28 March 2020 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your first sentence is asking whether this is happening for all plugin installation attempts, the answer is no. I just tried going to the marketplace and started the installation process for the first offered plugin, and it let me advance past the point that these other two plugins are failing at.

How do I tell whether a site cert is a self-signed certificate? The two root sites the plugins reside at are "https://sites.google.com" and "https://dl.bintray.com". I don't know about the latter, but I would be very surprised if the former was using a self-signed certificate.
Re: Getting SSL cert error trying to install plugins from two different sites [message #1823559 is a reply to message #1823538] Sat, 28 March 2020 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I've figured something out. Someone else with a similar problem mentioned that they thought it might be their firewall. I just tried disconnecting from my VPN, changing the eclipse proxy to "Direct" and attempting to install both Emacs+ and Bash Editor. No problem. Both gave me the "unsigned" warning and let me continue. It looks like our firewall simply won't allow connecting to servers with self-signed certs. It didn't used to be this way. This is a cleaner workaround than downloading the update site and installing it locally.
Re: Getting SSL cert error trying to install plugins from two different sites [message #1823594 is a reply to message #1823559] Mon, 30 March 2020 02:00 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

The other possibility would be an expired one, usually corrected with an O.S. update at this point. But at least you seem to have workarounds.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Eclipse does not stop at breakpoints
Next Topic:egit plugin install fails
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:11:49 GMT 2024