Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » HELP I need to learn how to deploy a profile w/ limited time...
HELP I need to learn how to deploy a profile w/ limited time... [message #1823389] Thu, 26 March 2020 03:04 Go to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
Hello all
this email is to ask for anyone's kind help and knowledge sharing.
If OK with you, I plan to use this thread to post a series of questions about deploying the UML profile on papyrus.
I am in a big SAP transformation project and we are using UML models to resolve business process integration questions with good results. I am using Sparx Enterprise Architect with a profile that I developed myself and implemented via Sparx MDG (extension tool for Sparx).
Due to success I want to extend this approach to other users, but I want to use Papyrus not Sparx EA (due to several reasons: I use Papyrus to teach at university and also Papyrus is perfectly capable of doing this job, plus YAY Open Source!)
My profile is fully documented, but I need to learn how to deploy it in Papyrus, and we are under great time / resource pressure.

So please excuse me if I ask questions that may already have been answered elsewhere.

here's my first 2 questions!

1. Is the Papyrus profile guide (8 years old) still up to date? Anything that I should be aware of for Papyrus 4.7?
https://www.eclipse.org/papyrus/resources/PapyrusUserGuideSeries_AboutUMLProfile_v1.0.0_d20120606.pdf

2. What my profile does is, remove all UML elements that are used for physical level modeling. Only UML elements that are used for conceptual and logical level modeling are in the profile. If I implement this profile, will users not see the physical level elements in toolboxes nor in context menus? And is there a better way than profiles to hide these elements from users? I tried palette customization in Oxygen a while back but it failed completely - I guess it was not implemented back then.

Thanks!
Re: HELP I need to learn how to deploy a profile w/ limited time... [message #1823402 is a reply to message #1823389] Thu, 26 March 2020 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wiman is currently offline Thomas WimanFriend

I can confirm that the Papyrus profile guide is still applicable when using the latest release of Papyrus. There are some UI differences in the wizard when creating the profile but otherwise it should be correct.

It is possible to programatically remove toolbox entries and drawers in the toolbox/palette. But I have not any simple snippet on this to share right now. I have not tried to remove any menu items from the New Child context menu in Model Explorer so I do not know if it is possible or not.

/Thomas

Thomas Wiman
MetaModelAgent Product Manager
Re: HELP I need to learn how to deploy a profile w/ limited time... [message #1823404 is a reply to message #1823402] Thu, 26 March 2020 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Thomas. So I will go the profile route as I planned.
Re: HELP I need to learn how to deploy a profile w/ limited time... [message #1823745 is a reply to message #1823404] Wed, 01 April 2020 08:51 Go to previous message
Second question!
Will the Papyrus profile override the default UML profile?
This is an important question because the goal of my profile is NOT to add new classifiers to papyrus - I want to remove physical level classifiers.

So if I define a profile that is missing some standard UML classifiers, and I apply that profile to my model, will Papyrus still show the standard UML (physical level) elements in palettes and context menu, or not?

For example in another tool (Sparx), I can completely remove any classifier from use by defining my profile and then not loading the Sparx standard UML profile. Will Papyrus behave the same way, or force me to see standard UML classifiers? Thanks!!
Previous Topic:[Model2Doc] Make a template simply available
Next Topic:link requirements with activity diagram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:38:24 GMT 2024