Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Token Splitting via custom lexer?(Inquiring about customizing lexer to extend some features.)
Token Splitting via custom lexer? [message #1822406] Thu, 05 March 2020 17:30 Go to next message
Jonathan Eugenio is currently offline Jonathan EugenioFriend
Hi everyone.

I'm looking to implement token splitting (i.e., replacing a single token with multiple tokens) but I'm confused with how to implement it correctly. I have found some repositories that provide examples of custom lexer files but I have also noticed that there is a lack of information on token splitting in general. Generally I'm stuck in trying to implement something that works the way I want it to.

What I would like to do is develop a DSL that sees this token:
"2J"
And interprets it as:
"J J"
It should be able to handle other cases like 3J -> J J J, and so on.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to implement this kind of functionality? Thanks
Re: Token Splitting via custom lexer? [message #1822679 is a reply to message #1822406] Wed, 11 March 2020 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karsten Thoms is currently offline Karsten ThomsFriend

Token splitting is no common use case in Xtext languages. The default lexer can't do this, so searching the links to use a custom lexer is the right starting point. From there this is out of the scope of Xtext.
Re: Token Splitting via custom lexer? [message #1822698 is a reply to message #1822679] Wed, 11 March 2020 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonathan Eugenio is currently offline Jonathan EugenioFriend
Thank you for your points. I understand that doing this is out of the scope of Xtext, but are there specific resources to look into that will provide more information on the custom lexer? Thanks.
Re: Token Splitting via custom lexer? [message #1822717 is a reply to message #1822698] Thu, 12 March 2020 06:41 Go to previous message
Tamas Miklossy is currently offline Tamas MiklossyFriend
Hello Jonathan,

you can find more information about a custom lexer in the following forum thread:
https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=1101305&goto=1817099&#msg_1817099

Hope that helps,
Tamás
Previous Topic:Use Language Server Xtext
Next Topic:Understanding lambdas
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:55:00 GMT 2024