Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Missing functions Activity diagrams in Eclipse SysML1.4
Missing functions Activity diagrams in Eclipse SysML1.4 [message #1822377] Thu, 05 March 2020 09:19 Go to next message
jb tw is currently offline jb twFriend
I'm quite new to both Papyrus and to SysML. I have read SysML distilled (and SysML 1.4 Spec(formal 15-06-03)) but I run into some trouble that not all SysML functionality is (directly?) available in papyrus, and what there is is not always clear (at least not to me).
Some problems are pointed out somewhere else (https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1100927/).
For now I point only to some problems I have in the activity diagram. Some of the problems are more general and apply to different other functions / diagrams. As example I choose figure 6.1 from the SysML Distilled book.
index.php/fa/37516/0/
As reference part of the table 11.1 for activity diagrams:
index.php/fa/37517/0/

What i'm missing are the following:

• Action (SysML 1.4 spec) is not available from palete. I'm not sure if this is: Model explorer >> RMB >> UML for SysML >> OpaqueAction ? This is quite a bit of work to do every time...
  • TimeEvent (SysML 1.4 spec). Time event I can create by on the Explorer RMB>>New Child>>TimeEvent but I'm unable to add this to activity diagram as shown in Figure 6.1
  • Not from Figure 6.1 but still missing is in the Palette is ActivityPartition : Model explorer >> RMB >> UML for SysML >> ActivityPartition (SysML spec table 11.3
  • Functions NoBuffer, Optional, OverWrite from table 11.1 are only available Model Explorer >> RMB >> SysML 1.4 Child >> ...
  • My last point but i can do something wron: I'm unable to add a control flow between a output node and a merge / descision Node like the ones in SysML Distilled P91 Figure 6.1

I don't know if the option exist but it would be great if it excist:

• Differentiating between ObjectFlow and ControlFlow, set option to make ControlFlow as dashed arrow (SysML 1.4 spec table 11.2, P112)

From table 11.3
index.php/fa/37518/0/

I hope that you can help me. Jan-Bert
Re: Missing functions Activity diagrams in Eclipse SysML1.4 [message #1822869 is a reply to message #1822377] Mon, 16 March 2020 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5100 + views and nobody knows...
no tips no work arounds?
Re: Missing functions Activity diagrams in Eclipse SysML1.4 [message #1822911 is a reply to message #1822869] Mon, 16 March 2020 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Maybe because most people are interested in getting work done.

How do these probably missing features induce pain?
What do you want to achieve?

/Carsten
Re: Missing functions Activity diagrams in Eclipse SysML1.4 [message #1822958 is a reply to message #1822911] Tue, 17 March 2020 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I 'm interested in getting work done too.
But to do this i should be able to learn how to archive some results.

What i want to archive now is remake the example from Figure 6.1 (See First post)

• There is no "plain" action in the Palette
  • Is a OpaqueAction the same as en Action?
  • There is no timeEvent in the pallete and when creating one somewhere else i'm not able to use it in a activity
  • I'm unable to add a control flow between a output node and a merge / descision Node like the ones in Figure 6.1

Re: Missing functions Activity diagrams in Eclipse SysML1.4 [message #1822959 is a reply to message #1822958] Tue, 17 March 2020 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess a good starting point for you will be
16.14.3 Action [Abstract Class]
of the OMG's UML 2.5.1 specification.

As stated in the headline UML::Action is abstract and for that very reason shall not be instanciated. That is why it does not appear in the palette.

/Carsten
Re: Missing functions Activity diagrams in Eclipse SysML1.4 [message #1838937 is a reply to message #1822959] Tue, 09 March 2021 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm re-reading the book. I understand the background now a bit more. I figured also a big part out related to the use of actions and Call Behavior Action.

My conclusion uptill now is that these two plain actions i can't make:
index.php/fa/40114/0/
What is the best method to full fill this feature

1. create a callBehaviourAction and leave behaviour empty
  2. Use opaqueAction
  3. other?

A second question raises while reading the book:
index.php/fa/40115/0/
Where do i add the optional stereotype it's not in the list:
index.php/fa/40116/0/
Re: Missing functions Activity diagrams in Eclipse SysML1.4 [message #1838956 is a reply to message #1838937] Wed, 10 March 2021 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi jb tw,

on your second topic:

the problem in that case is, that the SysML 1.4 specification is a mess in that point.

If you take a look at Figure 11.8 you will see <<Optional>> is a Stereotype only applicable to Parameter. You tried to apply the <<Optional>> Stereotype on a ActivityParameterNode, not on a Parameter.
In the cited diagrams a Parameter is shown within an ActivityParameterNode element. Despite that would be a nice feature, this is not covered by the SysML syntax.

Nevertheless, applying the <<Optional>> stereotype on a Parameter is fully supported by Papyrus. If you create a Parameter within the ActivityParameterNode, you can apply the <<Optional>> Stereotype on that Parameter. But you cannot show that Parameter on a diagram. BTW, this is not required by the SysML specification either.

On the other hand, in Table 1.11 item Optional the SysML specification shows an <<optional>> decoration next to an ActivityParameterNode. In this case "optional" is written with the first character in lower case, whereas in Figure 11.8 and in the machine readable XMI file "optional" starts with a capital letter.
But what should that <<optional>> decoration next to an ActivityParameterNode express? An ActivityParameterNode may contain several Parameter elements, some of them maybe optional. The ActivityParameterNode itself is never optional.

BTW, I consider the SysML specification to be a big mess, not only in that very case ;-)

/pica

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2021 13:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Missing functions Activity diagrams in Eclipse SysML1.4 [message #1838961 is a reply to message #1838937] Wed, 10 March 2021 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi jb tw,

and on the first issue:

SysML only defines
UML4SysML::CallBehaviorAction
UML4SysML::AcceptEventAction
UML4SysML::SendSignalAction

Consequently UML::OpaqueAction is not allowed within SysML.

As a result take CallBehaviorAction :-)

/pica
Re: Missing functions Activity diagrams in Eclipse SysML1.4 [message #1838962 is a reply to message #1838961] Wed, 10 March 2021 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi jb tw,

maybe the LinkedIn group "Learn MBSE" is of interest to you. This group has been founded by Tim Weilkiens, who is a member of the SysML working group.

/pica

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2021 13:42]

Re: Missing functions Activity diagrams in Eclipse SysML1.4 [message #1839024 is a reply to message #1838962] Thu, 11 March 2021 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pauline Deville is currently offline Pauline DevilleFriend
Hello,

I just can add some other informations.

Concerning the AcceptTimeEvent you can do it by adding an AcceptEventAction from the palette and then use a timeEvent as trigger. Doing that you will see that the figure change for the hourglass picture.

Concerning the dash controlFlow this is not done by default but you can do it using the css stylesheet (see documentation [1]) like this :

ControlFlow{
lineStyle: dashed;
}

Concerning Action this is an abstract element so you can not have it in the palette, you juste have its concret elements such as CallBehaviorAction, AcceptEventAction, SendSignalAction, ...

HTH,
Pauline

1. https://help.eclipse.org/2020-12/topic/org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.gmfdiag.css.doc/target/generated-eclipse-help/css.html
Re: Missing functions Activity diagrams in Eclipse SysML1.4 [message #1839059 is a reply to message #1839024] Fri, 12 March 2021 08:05 Go to previous message
Carsten Pitz wrote on Wed, 10 March 2021 13:56

on your second topic:

Thanks for your clear explenation!

Carsten Pitz wrote on Wed, 10 March 2021 14:14

As a result take CallBehaviorAction :-)

thanks i do it that way

Pauline Deville wrote on Thu, 11 March 2021 14:19

Thanks for all the info i shall dive into it!

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2021 08:06]

Previous Topic:Associating Sequence Diagram to Class Method
Next Topic:Error with Papyrus Java Code Reverse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:31:54 GMT 2024