Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Titan » ctags for TTCN-3 / vim?
ctags for TTCN-3 / vim? [message #1822313] Tue, 03 March 2020 18:38 Go to next message
Harald Welte is currently offline Harald WelteFriend

I was wondering if anyone had a recommended configuration or "best practice" in terms of the use of ctags with TTCN-3 code. I'm used to use it in complex C programs, and it's quite nice to be able to naviagate using it in vim. It would be great to also use this when working with TTCN-3 code.

exuberant-ctags seems to nevre have merged a patch for TTCN-3 support. I quickly tried ctags-universal, but it only puts a fraction of the function names in the ctags file.

Thanks!
Re: ctags for TTCN-3 / vim? [message #1822327 is a reply to message #1822313] Wed, 04 March 2020 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kristof Szabados is currently offline Kristof SzabadosFriend
Hi Harald,

I would recommend using our Eclipse plugins.
You get the jump to definition functionality, and also call hierarchy, outline, module dependency visualization, code completion, refactoring features just to name a few.
Re: ctags for TTCN-3 / vim? [message #1822332 is a reply to message #1822327] Wed, 04 March 2020 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Harald Welte is currently offline Harald WelteFriend

Thanks, but no, thanks. I'd rather use Emacs over vi than switch to any kind of highly complex, resource-hungry IDE or the like - no matter what its name may be.

A web browser and gnumeric as a spreadsheet as well as EDA software for electronics design are about the only non-commandline tools that I use for decades now. And still, every time I have to touch the mouse I feel like something is wrong.

I understand that graphical user interfaces and complex IDEs have their user base, and I respect that - but it's very clearly not my kind of work environment. I am a strong believer in the thesis that it's much more efficient for a human to adapt to textual/command based user interfaces than to create an "easy to use for anyone quickly but hard to use efficiently if you spend all your day in it" graphical user interface.

Guess I'll contact the author of the universal-ctags TTCN3 support to figure out why it's not indexing all of the TTCN3 functions in my codebase.
Re: ctags for TTCN-3 / vim? [message #1855738 is a reply to message #1822332] Sat, 29 October 2022 21:29 Go to previous message
Alexander Rehbein is currently offline Alexander RehbeinFriend
In case you aren't yet aware or in case anybody else stumbles across this question (it popped up on top of my search results):

ctags-universal has partial support, but does an incomplete job (there seem to be problems with tagging templates), however only about a month after this question was asked, Nokia released ntt: https://github.com/nokia/ntt which includes the command `ntt tags` for generating a ctags file.
Previous Topic:The generation a of template containing 'ifpresent'' param
Next Topic:XML Encoding issue with namespaces
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:52:25 GMT 2024