Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Compare » Creating a macroscopic difffrom a collection of unit diffs(Is there a recommended approach to creating a 'macroscopic' diff?)
Creating a macroscopic difffrom a collection of unit diffs [message #1820944] Sun, 02 February 2020 23:47
Steve Hickman is currently offline Steve HickmanFriend
The Developer Guide description of 'Refinements' is 'spartan'. Between that and the 1 topic on this forum that mentions macroscopic diffs, there seems to be an implication that creating means picking one of the diffs as the macroscopic diff and setting the
'refines' and 'refinedBy' pointers to the other diffs.

In my application, all the 'unit' diffs are 'equal' - none of the objects referenced in any of the diffs 'contains' any of the other referenced objects. Further, there are several different kinds of 'macroscopic' diffs that could occur - and I want to distinguish them for the end user. My initial thought is to simply define additional classes that implement the 'Diff' interface - 1 for each kind of macroscopic diff - and the create an instance of the appropriate type and have it refinedBy the relevant set of unit diffs.

Before I start implementing this approach, I thought I would check to see if this is the preferred approach or if there is some other approach that I should consider.

My questions:
1) Is there a preferred approach for defining macroscopic diffs?
2) If there are multiple approaches, are there any specific issues I should keep in mind when deciding between approaches?
Previous Topic:Implementing IEObjectMatcher
Next Topic:3 way comparison with DifferenceFilter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:01:23 GMT 2024