Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » [Model2Doc] Make a template simply available
[Model2Doc] Make a template simply available [message #1820554] Wed, 22 January 2020 17:25 Go to next message
Yoann Farré is currently offline Yoann FarréFriend
Hello,

I would know if there is a mean to make a model2doc template easily available. I can convert a template into prototype. The next step is to make the prototype available in an other model.
Can I distribute this prototype by another way that a Eclipse plugin referencing an existing architecture?

Regards.

Yoann.
Re: [Model2Doc] Make a template simply available [message #1820642 is a reply to message #1820554] Fri, 24 January 2020 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vincent lorenzo is currently offline vincent lorenzoFriend
Hello Yoann,
I think you can write your own action (Eclipse Command, Handler and Menu) to select your prototype in the workspace, in order to :
- load it in the ResourceSet of your Papyrus model,
- create a Template from the prototype,
- define the semanticContext and the graphicalContext in the template
- launch the generation

but I'm not sure a such template will appears easily in the ModelExplorer...

So, I'm pretty sure, this behavior can be implemented, but I'm not sure of the troubles you will find bypassing the normal integration.
Regards,
/Vincent
[Model2Doc] vs [GenDoc] [message #1820644 is a reply to message #1820554] Fri, 24 January 2020 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
to extend this thread ...
I would like to learn about the differences and in what context to use which one.
/Carsten
Re: [Model2Doc] vs [GenDoc] [message #1820750 is a reply to message #1820644] Tue, 28 January 2020 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Carsten,
As a part of answer:
I personnally don't use GenDoc but the advantages of Model2Doc are (in my opinion):
- It enables to define a template for the document generation without coding (as it is the case with GenDoc)
- Guided process to build a template (with pop up and property view)
- Very efficient even for large models
- The template is contained in the model : it is a representation of the model as a diagram or a table
- It builds an intermediate model which means it can be extended.

Of course, to reuse simply a template, you need to build the model respecting the same pattern.
Re: [Model2Doc] vs [GenDoc] [message #1820766 is a reply to message #1820750] Tue, 28 January 2020 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Yoann,

merci beaucoup for your answer. Nevertheless I feel free to comment your comments.

- It enables to define a template for the document generation without coding (as it is the case with GenDoc)

I really wonder: Why writing OMG QVT queries is considered coding, but writing AQL queries is not?
Both feature if-then-else and for constructs,

- Guided process to build a template (with pop up and property view)

That might be an argument, using a word processor as editor is feasable but not that convinient.

- Very efficient even for large models

How big is large? My test model consisting of 90 submodels transforms within 22s on my mobile workstation.

- The template is contained in the model : it is a representation of the model as a diagram or a table

Same on both alternatives

- It builds an intermediate model which means it can be extended.

Same on both alternatives

I regard being able to use the same language (MOFM2T which is based on QVT) for rich text document and pure textual artefacts a big plus.

And two more question on M2Doc

So far all companies and organizations I worked for, have their own collection of Microsoft Word templates. How do I use Microsoft Word document templates?

How do I generate slide-sets (Microsoft Powerpoints) and spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel) using M2Doc?

/Carsten

EDIT: typos and extension

[Updated on: Tue, 28 January 2020 14:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Model2Doc] vs [GenDoc] [message #1820797 is a reply to message #1820766] Wed, 29 January 2020 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Carsten,
Thanks for your feedback. I just come back on your first point. I don't need to write any AQL queries when I use Model2Doc. I just use the graphical tool to build the reading pattern for the model.

As far as I know, it is needed to use an ott file to define the template of the document which will be generated. I don't think you can use directly a Microsoft Word template but a LibreOffice template can be used. And currently, there is no support to generate Microsoft Power Point or Excel files. Model2Doc should probably be extended with other generators to produce such files.

Regards.
Yoann.
Re: [Model2Doc] vs [GenDoc] [message #1823717 is a reply to message #1820797] Tue, 31 March 2020 15:08 Go to previous message
Hello,

I just add a point which I didn't specified and can be important for some users : Model2Doc is very fast (generation in less than 1 minute) even for large documents (hundreds of pages and diagrams). If I remeber well, it was not the case for GenDoc.
Regards.

Yoann.
Previous Topic:context menu incomplete after editing diagram
Next Topic:HELP I need to learn how to deploy a profile w/ limited time...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 04 10:33:37 GMT 2021