Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Trace Compass » Main toolbar
Main toolbar [message #1820542] Wed, 22 January 2020 13:46 Go to next message
Zdeněk Ziegler is currently offline Zdeněk ZieglerFriend
Hi,
I would like to ask a question. Is it possible to setup the main toolbar in Trace Compass similar to Eclipse. Or is it possible to add it into TC through plugin extension?

Thank you
Ziegler
  • Attachment: toolbar.PNG
    (Size: 23.10KB, Downloaded 94 times)
Re: Main toolbar [message #1820724 is a reply to message #1820542] Mon, 27 January 2020 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bernd Hufmann is currently offline Bernd HufmannFriend
Hello

In Trace Compass stayed away from adding to the main toolbar for 2 reasons. First of all, when the Trace Compass plug-ins are installed on the IDE we didn't want to add more icons to the tool that are already there due to other Eclipse plugins. Secondly, and this true for both the Eclipse IDE case and the standalone Trace Compass application, we want to save "valuable" vertical screen space. Each view has already it's own toolbar which takes away from the available screen space. Having said that, I'm sure there can be good reasons to have toolbar buttons triggering actions on Trace Compass.

To answer your questions, if you'd like to add to the Eclipse toolbar (and/or the Trace Compass standalone toolbar) then you would have to do it using standard Eclipse extension points. This addition would have to be part of an Eclipse plug-in installed together with Trace Compass. See reference [1] for a good tutorial.

I have a questions, are you looking for toolbar buttons for Trace Compass that would be provided by the official Trace Compass plug-ins or do you plan to have your own plug-in on top of Trace Compass?

Best Regards
Bernd

[1] https://www.vogella.com/tutorials/EclipseCommands/article.html

Re: Main toolbar [message #1820790 is a reply to message #1820724] Wed, 29 January 2020 06:10 Go to previous message
Zdeněk Ziegler is currently offline Zdeněk ZieglerFriend
Hello,

thank you for your clarification. Our colleagues are used to toolbar with icons in Eclipse IDE. They asked me whether there could be toolbar here as well.

We already have 2 plug-ins on top of Trace Compass. So they would like to have those actions in given toolbar instead of in menu.

I will have a look on it, thank you again for your answer.

Regards, Ziegler
Previous Topic:CPU usage view
Next Topic:kernel and ust traces alongside
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 11:06:28 GMT 2024