Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » unable to find valid certification path to requested target(unable to find valid certification path to requested target)
unable to find valid certification path to requested target [message #1819623] Sat, 18 January 2020 18:18 Go to next message
abid mohamed is currently offline abid mohamedFriend
Dear Team
I download new software for eclipse , but now i am not able to launch it .i have got this error :

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.artifact.repository 2 0 2020-01-18 20:17:37.553
!MESSAGE Failure reporting download statistics to URL: https://download.eclipse.org/stats/releases/2019-12/org.eclipse.oomph.preferences
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Unable to read repository at https://download.eclipse.org/stats/releases/2019-12/org.eclipse.oomph.preferences.
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.transport.ecf.RepositoryTransport.getLastModified(RepositoryTransport.java:257)
at org.eclipse.oomph.p2.internal.core.CachingTransport.delegateGetLastModified(CachingTransport.java:396)
at org.eclipse.oomph.p2.internal.core.CachingTransport.getLastModified(CachingTransport.java:345)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.MirrorRequest.collectStats(MirrorRequest.java:269)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.MirrorRequest.transfer(MirrorRequest.java:236)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.MirrorRequest.perform(MirrorRequest.java:155)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.simple.SimpleArtifactRepository.getArtifact(SimpleArtifactRepository.java:759)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.artifact.repository.simple.DownloadJob.run(DownloadJob.java:64)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:192)

Please i need your help
Re: unable to find valid certification path to requested target [message #1819663 is a reply to message #1819623] Mon, 20 January 2020 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolf Theunissen is currently offline Rolf TheunissenFriend
What is the version of the JRE you are using? If you are using an older version of the JRE you are probably missing some certificates.
Either upgrade your JRE or add the appropriate certificates to your installation.

For reference:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21076179/pkix-path-building-failed-and-unable-to-find-valid-certification-path-to-requ
Re: unable to find valid certification path to requested target [message #1833459 is a reply to message #1819663] Tue, 13 October 2020 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gene Mishchenko is currently offline Gene MishchenkoFriend
The same Stack Overflow post helped me resolve my issue.

I just want to point out that unless your JRE is truly ancient, its version should not be an issue and it should have the SSL certificates for most Eclipse download sites in the default keystore.

The problem with this exception is that it's really verbose, but it does not list the exact certificate in the chain that caused the error. After you open the update/download URL used by Eclipse in a Web browser and view the lowest level certificate in the chain, you can save and import all of the certificates in the chain or just try the ones that you think are causing the problem.

In my case the root cause was that the certificate used by the corporate HTTP proxy server was inserted in the SSL cert chain and the JVM used by Eclipse did not know how to obtain that certificate automatically (Web browsers, even the Eclipse internal browser, are just better at this, so this is why you typically can't reproduce the error in them).
So I needed to save and to import JUST THAT certificate into the JRE keystore as a trusted entry.
Re: unable to find valid certification path to requested target [message #1838859 is a reply to message #1833459] Sat, 06 March 2021 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darren Thompson is currently offline Darren ThompsonFriend
All of the sudden I started having a lot of these "pkix path building failed: unable to find valid certification path to requested target" errors. I started getting it with the marketplace, maven, subclipse github etc...
I don't know what changed. This is a company PC and does not appear to be using a proxy and whether I am on the company VPN or not does not matter. My personal PC on the same internet does not have the issue. I imagine some sort of change or policy was pushed out to my PC but I have no idea what it could be.
Regardless, installing the certs per above does fix the error. Here is a sample of what the command may look like if running Eclipse 2020-12 since it downloads a JRE to use by default:
keytool -import -alias eclipsemarketplace -keystore "C:\Users\****youruser****\.p2\pool\plugins\org.eclipse.justj.openjdk.hotspot.jre.full.win32.x86_64_15.0.2.v20210201-0955\jre\lib\security\cacerts" -file e:\temp\eclipsemarketplace.cer
Re: unable to find valid certification path to requested target [message #1838866 is a reply to message #1838859] Sun, 07 March 2021 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolf Theunissen is currently offline Rolf TheunissenFriend
@Darren

From your command it is clear that your Eclipse install uses the JRE provided by JustJ. The JustJ JRE was supposed to be released with a few specific products, but there was a bug that it could be installed in other products too. Also, there is a know bug that JustJ doesn't use the system security store. These might explain why the issues start popping up now.
Re: unable to find valid certification path to requested target [message #1843160 is a reply to message #1838866] Fri, 16 July 2021 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Bakken is currently offline Eric BakkenFriend
So my org uses a man in the middle cert and I struggled with this for days before I realized that eclipse doesn't use the system keystore, it uses it's own. For example, here is the location of the keystore that should get the cert:

/opt/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.justj.openjdk.hotspot.jre.full.linux.x86_64_16.0.1.v20210528-1205/jre/lib/security/cacerts

Hope this helps anyone who runs into this problem.

-Eric
Re: unable to find valid certification path to requested target [message #1856283 is a reply to message #1833459] Thu, 01 December 2022 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simran Simran is currently offline Simran SimranFriend
Hi Team,
I am also getting the same error. Can someone please help me.
I have installed Eclipse 2022-09 version (both Java Developer and EE/Java Developers) and when I am trying to install the New software, I am getting below error.

• Attachment: image.png
    (Size: 127.53KB, Downloaded 553 times)
Re: unable to find valid certification path to requested target [message #1858537 is a reply to message #1856283] Thu, 06 April 2023 13:26 Go to previous message
Vinayak Chalse is currently offline Vinayak ChalseFriend
Thanks @Rolf Theunissen and @Eric Bakken for your inputs it was helpful to me.
I had solved the certificate issue earlier with @Rolf Theunissen's like suggestion some months back but it did not work this time.
@Eric Bakken's suggestion did work for me this time.

I would suggest if @Rolf Theunissen's suggestion dose not work then verify the JDK/JRE referred by the eclipse setup first.
You can choose to update the Eclipse installation's eclipse.ini to use your machine JDK/JRE and that should enable the @Rolf Theunissen's suggestion based changes to work. This is a bit complex approach though.

Alternatively, you can choose to follow @Eric Bakken's suggestion and note this exercise when moving to different eclipse setup and facing same issue again.

Happy coding and cheer to everyone! :)
Previous Topic:[OS X] Codesigning the .app with new Gatekeeper, codesigning V2
Next Topic:Eclipse Installer Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:05:44 GMT 2024