Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Projects, Packages, and setup(Advice needed for how to set up the various packages on a computer, efficiently)
Projects, Packages, and setup [message #1819516] Thu, 16 January 2020 15:49 Go to next message
Michael Gosselin is currently offline Michael GosselinFriend
Hello everyone.

I may have mentioned this before, but I have several versions of Eclipse on my laptop. I initially loaded Javascript Oxygen, then Javascript Photon. Then, I needed Java, so installed Photon, and upgraded to 2019-06. However, none of these had an installation that updated the Windows list of programs, so it's tough to keep track.

To further confuse me, each time I opened one, I was asked to create a workspace. So now I have five workspaces, and when I do something like upgrade POI from 4.1.0 to 4.1.1, I can't seem to get it consistent among many workspaces.

So I ask: how do you experienced developers set up workspaces, manage files and packages, and generally keep your packages and projects neat and organized?

My software experience is different than Java, because it's an older technology, and it's good to learn the more recent and more robust platforms and tools going forward.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Projects, Packages, and setup [message #1819519 is a reply to message #1819516] Thu, 16 January 2020 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Emmanuel Chebbi is currently offline Emmanuel ChebbiFriend
Hi,

I'm also used to deal with several Eclipse installations daily. On my side I keep all of them within a unique directory (C:/dev/ide/) and give them meaningful names (e.g. eclipse-photon-java or eclipse-2019-12-modelling).

Workspaces are located under the main folder of the related Eclipse installation. For instance, given the previous installations, I may have the following workspaces:

• C:/dev/ide/eclipse-photon-java/workspace-sandbox
  • C:/dev/ide/eclipse-photon-java/workspace-project1
  • C:/dev/ide/eclipse-2019-12-modelling/workspace-projectA
  • C:/dev/ide/eclipse-2019-12-modelling/workspace-projectB

Projects are all located under a unique directory (C:/dev/projects) so that it's easy to import the ones I'm interested in when creating a new workspace. Note that several Eclipse installations can use the same workspace but it may become unreadable for older Eclipse versions.

If you have several projects, colleagues or even different computers then Team Project Sets can also be handy as they allow to import all your projects in a few clicks.

I also like to change the title of Eclipse's window so that I can know the corresponding installation in a glance. It's:

• Window > Preferences > General > Workspace
  • Uncheck Show product name
  • Check Show workspace name and type something like "[2019-12 -- Java]"

[Updated on: Thu, 16 January 2020 16:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Projects, Packages, and setup [message #1819522 is a reply to message #1819519] Thu, 16 January 2020 17:03 Go to previous message
Michael Gosselin is currently offline Michael GosselinFriend
Thanks, Emmanuel; I will endeavor to set these up and stay organized.

Any other feedback from others is also appreciated.
Previous Topic:Eclipse 2019-12R
Next Topic:Best Java programming software? My teacher told me to use Notepad++
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:47:50 GMT 2024