Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to add a new Eclipse package to an existing install?
How to add a new Eclipse package to an existing install? [message #1819363] Tue, 14 January 2020 01:49 Go to next message
S H is currently offline S HFriend
Hello everyone,

I currently have Eclipse IDE 2019-12 for Java Developers installed on my computer (Windows 10), and for a class I'm taking I need to have Eclipse IDE for Scientific Computing.
I already have MinGW installed and ready to go, but I can't seem to figure out how to merge or 'add' the Scientific Computing package to my current Eclipse install.
I believe the solution to this is probably pretty straight forward, but I can't seem to figure it out? A lot of the tutorials I found online for doing this were long outdated, or only added portions of the package (ie. only added C/C++, whereas I need all the tools that come in the Scientific Computing package).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Re: How to add a new Eclipse package to an existing install? [message #1819373 is a reply to message #1819363] Tue, 14 January 2020 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
In the end, each of the packages is just a collection of various features, all of which you can install using Help -> Install New Software and using the release train repository:

http://download.eclipse.org/releases/2019-12

So you can install anything you want into anything you already have. You just need to decide what you want.

It also doesn't hurt to have more than one IDE specialized for a specific purpose. E.g., I use the CDT IDE when doing C/C++ work and keep that separate from my Java IDE...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: How to add a new Eclipse package to an existing install? [message #1819411 is a reply to message #1819373] Tue, 14 January 2020 17:48 Go to previous message
S H is currently offline S HFriend
Ed Merks wrote on Tue, 14 January 2020 04:29
In the end, each of the packages is just a collection of various features, all of which you can install using Help -> Install New Software and using the release train repository:

http://download.eclipse.org/releases/2019-12

So you can install anything you want into anything you already have. You just need to decide what you want.

It also doesn't hurt to have more than one IDE specialized for a specific purpose. E.g., I use the CDT IDE when doing C/C++ work and keep that separate from my Java IDE...

Thanks Ed for the help. I decided to go with two separate installs of Eclipse, as you mentioned. It seems to work pretty good!
Previous Topic:How can I stop Eclipse from building every time I turn around?
Next Topic:Problem starting Jetty version 9.4.24.v20191120
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:57:41 GMT 2024