Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » 4DIAC - Framework for Distributed Industrial Automation and Control » 4Diac Forte and STM32(Using STM32 MPUs with 4Diac)
4Diac Forte and STM32 [message #1819335] Mon, 13 January 2020 12:53 Go to next message
VASILIS VORRIAS is currently offline VASILIS VORRIASFriend

Hi, I want to design a PLC using the STM32F103 (Bluepill board) or NUCLEO-F401RE board.
I saw here many topics on STM32 but I can not find a starting point how to implement step by step my project. I also have installed Eclipse for STM32 in Linux and 4DIAC as well.
Since I am a CODESYS programmer I can easily learn IEC 61499 model.
I suppose after building the program on 4Diac editor I need some Board Pins Description and some libraries to make the run time specific firmware using FORTE. But how all that is implemented on STM32?

So please anyone can give me a jump start documentation on what is needed to implement STM32 on these boards I will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot
Re: 4Diac Forte and STM32 [message #1819426 is a reply to message #1819335] Wed, 15 January 2020 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jose Maria Jesus Cabral Lassalle is currently offline Jose Maria Jesus Cabral LassalleFriend
Hi,

I think the steps to do are:
1- Get a program running on your board: Use the STM32 for eclipse and get something running on it. Any code wich uses the ethernet and if possible some led output.
2- Compile FORTE for the board: Which OS will you be using? If it is linux, is easier. FreeRTOS + LwIP is a common case when using this kind of boards. If that's the case, see this https://www.eclipse.org/4diac/en_help.php?helppage=html/installation/freeRTOSLwIP.html
Compiling FORTE can be hard, since you have to configure CMake with the cross compilation. You should be able to run a Blinking application example (https://www.eclipse.org/4diac/en_help.php?helppage=html/4diacIDE/use4diacLocally.html) on the board, and monitor it from the IDE
3- Code the access to the I/Os: This is specific to every board and unfortunately there's no documentation on how to that. This https://www.eclipse.org/4diac/en_help.php?helppage=html/parameters/parameters.html will give you an idea, but not everything. You could check the SysFs code in Forte for it.

Re: 4Diac Forte and STM32 [message #1819561 is a reply to message #1819426] Fri, 17 January 2020 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VASILIS VORRIAS is currently offline VASILIS VORRIASFriend

Hi Jose,
You gave me the motivation and the starting point I needed. Being a DOS and Z80 person since early days I can imagine what my road to importing code to STM32 might look like.
I know, a hard work and a lot of reading waiting for me but I am confident that people can be found here to help me so and then I can share my experience to others.

So far :
1 - I have installed 4DIAC and made the blinking example flowing the 4DIAC documentation (as an emulation not as an embedded device).
2 - I am installing all the tools (IDE Eclipse, STM32CubeMX, STM32 ARM tool-chain, etc) for writing STM32 firmware.
3 - I am reading for FreeRTOS + lwIP as well to understand it and how to run it on my STM32 devices.
4 - Then comes the I/O configuration..

A lot of work and I am preparing one step at a time

It could be nice if others have moved towards STM32 board implementations it is good to have their opinions.
I am thinking after my attempt on 4DIAC + STM32 finally to have results then write some clear notes and publishing them here, so others can benefit from my experience.

Thanks again you and everybody else how wants to write his experience here so to have a starting point concerning 4DIAC + FORTE + STM32

[Updated on: Fri, 17 January 2020 12:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 4Diac Forte and STM32 [message #1822782 is a reply to message #1819561] Fri, 13 March 2020 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy woo is currently offline joy wooFriend
Have you finished you stm32 porting? Is the performance good enough?
Re: 4Diac Forte and STM32 [message #1823129 is a reply to message #1819335] Thu, 19 March 2020 20:56 Go to previous message
Cihat Topal is currently offline Cihat TopalFriend
Hi,

A few mounths ago, I worked for porting forte 4daic on Stm32f746 discovery.
I prepared a document which includes how to porting freertos + lwip on stm32.
You can see the document in topic which title is About Freertos.
The document link, is in the last message.

Note: I did compile forte for stm32 and run tasks. But did not communicate between stm32 and forte ide.

I want to port forte for stm32 freertos+lwip. I think, if we help each other we can succeafull. Please share your experience.

Best Regars.
Cihat Yavuz Topal
Previous Topic:about log level suggestion
Next Topic:How to do multidimensional array calculation ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:38:35 GMT 2024