Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Multiple domain modeling using Sirius
Multiple domain modeling using Sirius [message #1819290] Sun, 12 January 2020 07:03 Go to next message
Avi Shaked is currently offline Avi ShakedFriend
Hi,

One of the things I like best about Sirius is its minimalist, build-up approach to models. Unlike in other modeling tools, the end-user is not overloaded with options, does not need to select appropriate pallet and model integrity is maintained through the packaging structure based on the meta-model (the ECORE model).

However, these features also have a significant drawback when one tries to combine multiple domain-specific modeling into the same model. For comparison, in commercial modeling environments, one can use "stereotypes" for adding a domain-specific representation to existing elements.
The issue is especially pressing when one tries to extend existing Sirius implementation. Some examples of potential use cases:

• Model a process using BPMN Designer (a DSM over Sirius) and extend it with a specific BPMN extension (such as PE-BPMN).
  • Extend Capella with a new system modeling perspective.

I would love to know if and how you approach such integration between various Domain Specific Models using Sirius. I would prefer not to have the same element appear separately in multiple models (a main point in Model Driven Engineering is to have a single source of truth, right?).

Also, specifically, I would appreciate your thoughts and/or guidance regarding the correct/desirable way to extend existing Sirius implementations. I would prefer to implement such extensions in a way which preserves the ability to upgrade the existing implementations once an update become available (to benefit from new features and bug corrections).
Re: Multiple domain modeling using Sirius [message #1819583 is a reply to message #1819290] Fri, 17 January 2020 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Julien Dupont is currently offline Julien DupontFriend
Hello Avi,

Do you know the Sirius Diagram extension?
This mecanism allow to extend an existing representation and adding a new layer for the final users.
So you don't have to redifined existing representations but you can directly reused existing representations.

Regards,
Re: Multiple domain modeling using Sirius [message #1819587 is a reply to message #1819583] Fri, 17 January 2020 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Julian. Sounds just like what I was looking for (assuming that the diagram that is the basis for extension can be from a different model specification).

Where can I find information on this mechanism? any example/tutorial available?

Regards,
Avi
Re: Multiple domain modeling using Sirius [message #1821275 is a reply to message #1819583] Mon, 10 February 2020 08:40 Go to previous message
Hi,

I have used the diagram extension mechanism to extend an existing diagram.

However, I still find that I need to extend the existing meta-model (existing ECORE model is insufficient, and I wish to extend it with further classes and attributes while using the existing elements as the basis). Is it possible?

Thanks,
Avi
Previous Topic:How to change Label position
Next Topic:Tabular view representation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:08:22 GMT 2024