Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Immediate and reproducible stack overflow on "Synchronize Workspace"
Immediate and reproducible stack overflow on "Synchronize Workspace" [message #1819142] Wed, 08 January 2020 17:25 Go to next message
Michael Moser is currently offline Michael MoserFriend
Whenever I try to "Synchronize Workspace" I reproducibly get a stack overflow.

An internal error occurred during: "Updating Synchronize view for Git without local changes.".
java.lang.StackOverflowError

This is in Eclipse 2019-12 (but was already the case in earlier builds). It's getting might annoying! Using Java v8 (AdoptOpenJDK / jdk-8.0.222.10-hotspot).

What can I check or do to avoid or fix that?
- Remove something from .metadata?
- Start with a new workspace? :-(
- Other fixes?

Is there something I can contribute to analyze this?

I have a not so big workspace (containing maybe 15 medium sized projects). Nothing spectacular (I have worked with work spaces and projects at least 20 times that size before and had no such issue!). Beats me, what could cause this StackOverflow...

[Updated on: Wed, 08 January 2020 17:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Immediate and reproducible stack overflow on "Synchronize Workspace" [message #1819145 is a reply to message #1819142] Wed, 08 January 2020 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Post the stack trace of this stack overflow then we can check what's the root cause.
Re: Immediate and reproducible stack overflow on "Synchronize Workspace" [message #1819162 is a reply to message #1819145] Thu, 09 January 2020 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Added the .log file.

Note: for brevity I removed older entries (i.e. before the stack overflow) plus at several places I removed each time 1000 identical lines. Hope that doesn't hide anything. If so, let me know.
  • Attachment: .log
    (Size: 94.94KB, Downloaded 87 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 09 January 2020 07:48]

Re: Immediate and reproducible stack overflow on "Synchronize Workspace" [message #1819170 is a reply to message #1819162] Thu, 09 January 2020 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Looking at this stack trace, it suggests to me that for some resource x, xgetParent() recursively leads to a cycle that reaches x again. I doubt this is the fault of EGit/JGit. It should not even be possible to create such a cycle. I would start with a new workspace if I were you.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Immediate and reproducible stack overflow on "Synchronize Workspace" [message #1819345 is a reply to message #1819170] Mon, 13 January 2020 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I created a new workspace, then imported the existing project. Then I triggered a "Synchronize Workspace" and immediately got a StackOverflow again :-(
Log file is attached...
  • Attachment: .log
    (Size: 297.43KB, Downloaded 78 times)
Re: Immediate and reproducible stack overflow on "Synchronize Workspace" [message #1819371 is a reply to message #1819345] Tue, 14 January 2020 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
My guess would be that you've created some type of linked resource that links up to its own parent such that you've induced an finite tree. If you could reproduce this in a runtime workspace where you can set a breakpoint to inspect the stack and the resources involved that might help you track such a thing down.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Immediate and reproducible stack overflow on "Synchronize Workspace" [message #1820653 is a reply to message #1819371] Fri, 24 January 2020 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What kind of resources could that possibly be? If I right-click on any of the projects' root -> Properties -> Resources -> Linked Resources the list is empty. But I guess that's not what you meant by "some type of linked resource that links up to its own parent", is it? Could you elaborate a bit more what you meant by that?

As I wrote: this happens even in a newly created workspace just by importing a nested Maven project (nested meaning a parent project containing about a dozen of sub-projects).

Anyone familiar with Eclipse's internals to explain or guess what could possibly cause such loops? After all: the project builds, runs test and installs all fine when I issue e.g. a "mvn install" on the command line, so it can't be that off and totally corrupted...

[Updated on: Fri, 24 January 2020 22:22]

Re: Immediate and reproducible stack overflow on "Synchronize Workspace" [message #1820738 is a reply to message #1820653] Tue, 28 January 2020 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are there any symlinks in this repository maybe linking to a parent folder ?
Can you reproduce this problem using a different git repository ?
Can you share the repository so I can debug the problem ?
Re: Immediate and reproducible stack overflow on "Synchronize Workspace" [message #1820795 is a reply to message #1820738] Wed, 29 January 2020 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interestingly fixing my other issue with the wrong Working Tree path (see https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=rview&goto=1820736#msg_1820736 on which you provided the solution) seems to also have fixed these stack overflows! At least I wasn't able to reproduce any since.

Doubly thankful! :-)
Cheers,
Michael

PS.: maybe defining such a "logical drive" allows you to reproduce these overflows?

[Updated on: Wed, 29 January 2020 09:06]

Re: Immediate and reproducible stack overflow on "Synchronize Workspace" [message #1821033 is a reply to message #1820795] Tue, 04 February 2020 16:55 Go to previous message
there are no logical drives on Mac OS :-)
Previous Topic:Cannot perform operation. Computing alternate solutions.
Next Topic:Can't update EGit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 23:25:44 GMT 2024