Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Can Sirius change an Ecore model?
Can Sirius change an Ecore model? [message #1818938] Fri, 03 January 2020 05:32 Go to next message
Clever Alves is currently offline Clever AlvesFriend
Hello!

It's clear Sirius works on top of Ecore, but can Sirius also change Ecore? If not, is any Sirius graphical editor indeed stuck to the original domain model?

Thank you for your attention.

Regards,

Clever.
Re: Can Sirius change an Ecore model? [message #1818951 is a reply to message #1818938] Fri, 03 January 2020 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Your terminology is misleading you / me.

Of course Sirius cannot change Ecore. The Sirius designers could extend Ecore, but that is a very very strongly discouraged practice.

With Sirius you use your own domain model, so what you are "stuck with" depends on whether you are the primary developer or some downstream subcontractor.

If by "original domain model" you mean the meta-meta-model, then you are indeed "stuck with" Ecore. But you could use something else like EMOF or UML or XSD using an appropriate conversion. Really not recommended.

From your earlier correspondence I think you may also be betting confused between the Sirius-based Ecore Tools editor and Sirius editors in general. The Sirius-based Ecore Tools editor could edit a variant Ecore but that wouldn't be very useful. (It probably does, but the small differences are probably in the esoteric and too hard to fix category.)

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Can Sirius change an Ecore model? [message #1819154 is a reply to message #1818951] Thu, 09 January 2020 05:50 Go to previous message
Clever Alves is currently offline Clever AlvesFriend
Thank you for your reply, Ed!

Quote:
or some downstream subcontractor

Since Sirius sounds more accessible to nontechnical users than Ecore, I was wondering whether such users could change the domain model structure without directly interacting with Ecore once both Ecore and Sirius appear to show the same information through different visual appearances...Does it make sense?

However, AFAIAA, Sirius doesn't seem to interact with the Ecore model's annotations, which prevents us to graphically represent the sort of information we find, say, in UML's sequence and activity diagrams, i.e., behaviour. I've seen Sirius tutorials with examples upon a family intrastructure and projects' tasks and collaborators interstructure, no method implementation at all, just attributes and structural relations.

Sirius seems to help when one needs to graphically represent many instances (many family members or many projects, tasks and collaborators) of the diagram's classes, allowing to manage the complexity through filtering relations, hiding and highlighting elements, conditioning styles, zooming into the diagram's area(s) and navigating within the diagram. All these features are more valuable to purely structural representation, rather than to ease the understanding of the system behaviour.

I'd appreciate if you could highlight the flaws in my reasoning above.

Regards,

Clever.
Previous Topic:Hiding elements by type
Next Topic:How to use Sequence{} in Candidates Expression
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:08:52 GMT 2024