Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Error recovery ?
Error recovery ? [message #1818893] Wed, 01 January 2020 00:15 Go to next message
Helen Keller is currently offline Helen KellerFriend
Workspace mix-up and how to recover from it ?
I am not sure what caused this , but that is immaterial.
I am asking the group assistance HOW to recover from this error.

I can access the log file, but it is HUGE , not really showing current date (?) AND most of all does not offer a solution.

I suspect something to do with "busy" workspace - which is "common" error I get and it is easy to recover from by switching / changing / selecting another workspace. NOT AN ISSUE.

But the "log" error give me NO OPTION but to quit Eclipse.
There ARE NO OTHER OPTIONS PRESENTED to restore current Eclipse run - except to run ANOTHER working copy of Eclipse .

HOW do I restore THIS , error giving , Eclipse (version) to normal operation ?

Re: Error recovery ? [message #1818899 is a reply to message #1818893] Wed, 01 January 2020 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Delete the .log file and run again. Then the log will only have the most recent problem in it and if you share those log details, we could better understand what's gone wrong and how to work around that problem.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Error recovery ? [message #1818906 is a reply to message #1818899] Wed, 01 January 2020 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
Re: Error recovery - clean log added 1/12/2020 [message #1818907 is a reply to message #1818899] Wed, 01 January 2020 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is today's .log attempt to run Eclipse.
It is still pretty big.

Addendum

NEW CLEAN LOG FILE ATTACHED

Sorry, I forgot how to add / attach file in "reply".

Ed, here is a clean, today, copy of the error log.
Unless it is easy to find out what went wrong, do not spent much time analysing it.
In essence - upgrading form Eclipse 2019--x is a gamble.

The safest way is to do clean download , add necessary plug-ins (pain), create clean new workspace and then import the projects from the old workspace.

The very old and annoying issue - cannot work on workspace created by "OLD" IDE gets in the way big time.

• Attachment: .log
    (Size: 301.02KB, Downloaded 119 times)
  • Attachment: Eclipse.log.odt
    (Size: 21.91KB, Downloaded 117 times)

[Updated on: Sun, 12 January 2020 16:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Error recovery ? [message #1818914 is a reply to message #1818907] Thu, 02 January 2020 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It looks like you didn't delete the .log file first. Somehow the line numbers seems a little off for the 2019-12 version so it must have a NPE here at 2098 (rather than 2099, which can't have an NPE):

https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.resources.git/tree/bundles/org.eclipse.core.resources/src/org/eclipse/core/internal/resources/Workspace.java#n2098

This suggests to me that your workspace tree is corrupted. I think it will be trying to read <workspace>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.root/*.tree and that file is corrupt. There might also be a *.bak in that folder, which is would read if there's an IOException will reading the *.tree, but there's an NPE so it never tries to read that. I doubt deleting the *.tree will help, but if there is a *.bak, that might help recover the workspace. Failing all that, you'll need to create a new workspace and import the old projects into that.

Ed Merks
Re: Error recovery ? [message #1818960 is a reply to message #1818914] Fri, 03 January 2020 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did not see any other .log files, so I did not delete the current one.
If you do not mind looking at this again I will clean ALL .log files.

You are correct - when it was still working I ended up with TWO workspaces.

I am not having much luck "importing" either "General " or "C/C++" , but will try "Importing from folder or archive " .

BTW I did post a question about copying workspace in CDT forum.
With the notice of "...from folder or archive" it looks as Eclipse has "native " archiving function.
I'll look into that.
Re: Error recovery ? [message #1819317 is a reply to message #1818960] Mon, 13 January 2020 06:11 Go to previous message
There are still many "Sessions" in this .log. The newest is !SESSION 2020-01-01 08:43:49.188 and that's the one where it's having trouble restoring the tree. That workspace is probably hosed, for whatever reason, so it is no doubt best to create/use a new workspace. I don't generally expect that an update of the IDE will hose the old workspace though, but once you use a workspace with a newer IDE, it might no longer function with an older one.

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:Activate the setting "Use temporary JAR to specify classpath" by default
Next Topic:Exclipse destroy the own workspace ...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 23:02:41 GMT 2024