Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » EMF.Edit-based validation leads to UI freeze
EMF.Edit-based validation leads to UI freeze [message #1818892] Tue, 31 December 2019 22:35 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hello,

while experimenting with the validation that an EMF.Edit-based editor offers, I have experienced the following issue: Whenever the "Validate" action is triggered from the menu, there is a certain probability that the UI of the Eclipse instance will freeze at the "Operation in progress..." dialog. When this happens, the Eclipse instance needs to be terminated from its parent IDE. After some experiments (with different valid and invalid models), I would estimate that every second to third invocation of the action leads to this result:
index.php/fa/37066/0/

Note that this happens with even the most rudimentary models and with the generated Java code kept unmodified. I have already tried to perform some troubleshooting using a Debugger. When the issue occurs, pausing the execution of the application leads to the following stack trace of main thread:
index.php/fa/37067/0/

The dialog that Eclipse tries to open before freezing is actually a "Validation completed successfully" one. Due to the central role of the validation functionality, I suppose that this is not an issue of EMF.Edit, but rather an issue that applies to me specifically. However, I am unsure of how to fix this. Is there something that needs to be kept in mind when using the validation framework?

I am using Eclipse 2019-12 (4.14.0) on Fedora 31.

Thanks!
  • Attachment: freeze.png
    (Size: 29.54KB, Downloaded 221 times)
  • Attachment: stacktrace.png
    (Size: 92.81KB, Downloaded 218 times)
Re: EMF.Edit-based validation leads to UI freeze [message #1818897 is a reply to message #1818892] Wed, 01 January 2020 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Your stack trace clearly shows that a dialog with one of the titles

_UI_ValidationProblems_title = Validation Problems
_UI_ValidationResults_title = Validation Information

is being displayed. Not what your screen shot shows.

Are you sure that you haven't changed focus so that the blocking dialog is hidden behind something else?

Try minimizing all windows to see if you can find it. If so, problem explained, but IMHO still a bug since a popup on behalf of application X should never be occluded by a parent window of application X's popup. Worth raising as an Eclipse bug since I have had similar confusion in the past.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: EMF.Edit-based validation leads to UI freeze [message #1818900 is a reply to message #1818897] Wed, 01 January 2020 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurélien Mora is currently offline Aurélien MoraFriend
Hello, I have a similar behaviour on Wayland (under gnome). The two only solutions I found are :
- Press space. Only this key helps me to close the window...
- Use Xorg.

The swt team improved a lot the Wayland support the past years, but there is still one or two bugs remaining.
Re: EMF.Edit-based validation leads to UI freeze [message #1818901 is a reply to message #1818900] Wed, 01 January 2020 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
For me the result dialog opens while the progress dialog is still open. That's on Windows, but even there, that seems less than ideal. I imagine that on another OS, this might well cause some type of modal dialog deadlock given that the result dialog's parent shell is the same as the progress dialog's shell (the workbench window's shell) and both are modal.

I've opened https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=558707 and committed the fix, i.e., asyc exec the creation of the result dialog so it happens after the progress dialog is finished and closed. That certainly looks better on Windows and likely addresses the problem you see. You can update to the following build for the fix:

http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/emf/builds/nightly/latest

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: EMF.Edit-based validation leads to UI freeze [message #1818904 is a reply to message #1818901] Wed, 01 January 2020 13:59 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Thank you very much for your answers.

I can confirm that before the fix, pressing the space bar actually closes the "Progress Information" dialog. However, doing so does not cause the validation result to be shown in my case. I am also using GNOME on Wayland.

Anyway, version 2.21.0.v20200101-0846 of EMF seems to solve the issue entirely for me. Thank you for this!
Previous Topic:Ecore Inheritance in the same Namespace
Next Topic:Ecore model serialization: element name replacement via ExtendedMetaData
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:13:23 GMT 2024