Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Reminder of steps to load Eclipse plugin in test instance so I can debug it?
Reminder of steps to load Eclipse plugin in test instance so I can debug it? [message #1818751] Fri, 27 December 2019 07:14 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I've used Eclipse for many years, but I've only rarely worked on Eclipse plugins, and that hasn't been for a few years.

There's one plugin that I use heavily, but which is now abandonware, and as new Eclipse versions have happened, some of its features are starting to become inoperative. I did fix a bug in it a few years ago, but I can't remember the steps for loading it in a test instance so I can at least set breakpoints and see what happens when I execute the operations in question.

I could use a reminder of the steps to do this. I do already have it loaded in an Eclipse instance that I can use to compile the code and produce a plugin jar I can place in a "dropins" folder.

If it matters, the original code is at https://github.com/MulgaSoft/e4macs , but I'm working on my own fork that has the aforementioned fix in it.

I'd appreciate whatever simple guidance someone can give me to make progress with this.
Re: Reminder of steps to load Eclipse plugin in test instance so I can debug it? [message #1818763 is a reply to message #1818751] Fri, 27 December 2019 16:52 Go to previous message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I guess I've remembered the basic steps. I still had an rcp 2018-12 installation that had the project loaded, and I was able to step through the handler that hasn't worked since 2019-09 (might have been 06). I'm not familiar with the steps it's going through, but I guess I can now install a rcp 2019-12 distro and go through the same steps and see when it diverges. I hope I can find useful questions to ask once I find that divergence.
Previous Topic:TFS extension in Eclipse Plugin Development
Next Topic:Plugin code can't find "javax.inject.Inject" in rpc 2019-12
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:38:57 GMT 2024